ADVERTISEMENT

What has to change?

Stellify

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2011
TLDR Warning:

I'm frustrated, but last night was honestly the lowest my blood pressure has been during a Tech game in at least 15 years. I hate that this is where I'm at as a fan, but apathy has 100% set in, and I truly just don't care enough to let it impact my life like it used to. That said, I still want to see this program succeed. I'm assuming Joey is getting at least 1-2 more years, so what all needs to change from your perspectives? In my mind, these are the obvious and glaring things:

1: Offensive Staff: Zach Kitley has to be let go, and possibly now. We have a large enough sample size to know his concepts can't work and he has zero ability to adjust. I know a lot of people will say that nothing good can come from firing him mid-season, but what do we really gain with keeping him until the end of the season? Never keep an employee you know you are going to fire eventually. Cut ties now and move on.

2: Analytics: I love being aggressive, but only in the right situations. Our defense was way improved last night, but you wouldn't know that from the box score. We cannot continue to put them in bad spots. Tim Deruyter needs to hammer Joey about this.

3: Recruiting Strategy: I was fully on-board with the moneyball recruiting strategy we've deployed. Thought it was innovative and a great way to maximize talent and resources, but starting to think it's not going to work. Where are all of these "athletes" we've been bringing in? We look slow and undersized at just about every position minus WR. I love the opportunities in the transfer portal, but not necessarily for OL or DL. We absolutely need to start paying for high-end linemen out of high school and develop them. Which brings me to my next point...

4. Development/S&C: Do we have the right positional and strength & conditioning staff to properly develop our players? Sure seems like our kids do not improve very often. If we need changes here, what position groups should see a change? Is there an opportunity to bring in a development coordinator (maybe that already exists?) to start tracking both players and coaches to hold them accountable?

What are other areas that need to be addressed for McGuire to turn it around?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.