ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Weekend visitor reactions (7:19 P.M.)

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Hey there folks. Since there was a good handful of unofficial visitors in town this weekend, we're working on getting visit reactions from the prospects. We'll update this thread as we hear back from more.

-------------------------------------------------

Irving (Texas) Nimitz linebacker Noah Spears was in Lubbock over the weekend to visit Tech, and he seemed to have a good time out in West Texas.

"It was real nice. I really liked the coaches and the campus. It just felt really good to be there," he said. "I hung out with Coach Morris a lot, and also Coach Spav. Those were the two I hung out with the most. I also talked with the defensive coordinator, and he seemed like a real cool guy."

Spears was able to sit down with linebackers coach Zac Spavital for a bit, and he likes the way the Red Raider defense utilizes their linebackers.

"He was just talking to me about the defense, where I would fit in, and where I would play. It was really good. I like the way he lets the linebackers run around and blitz and all that."

As the defender noted, he was able to talk with defensive coordinator David Gibbs as well, and it looks like there could be a possibility of early playing time for Spears.

"It was nice. He explained the defense to me. We looked at the depth chart, and he said they were in need of some linebackers. He said that, if I had a good summer camp, I might even have a chance to come in and start, so that was exciting."

Overall, Spears had a great time on his visit, and seeing as he lived in Lubbock until he was in the fourth grade, Tech has always been a place that he's hoped he could possibly play college football at.

"I'm really excited about it. I could definitely see myself playing for them. I'm from Lubbock, so it's always been a dream to play for Texas Tech, and now that dream is possible, so it's really exciting."

However, he's going to take his time with the process. He hopes to be back in Lubbock for one of Tech's summer camps, and he'll likely camp with A&M, Oklahoma, and Kansas as well.

--McKay

--------------------------------------

I just got in touch with Keller (Texas) defensive end Houston Miller, who arrived home from his visit to Tech just a bit ago. The DE had a great time on the trip, and he made note of a few things that stuck out to him.

"I just really liked how football is the town's everything. Football is all they have. They just love to play football, and that's what everyone goes out there to watch. It's just a football town. Everyone is out there watching the games, treating everyone like family. It's a great place to be. Then, I also never realized how big the place is. It's so big, and the campus is really big with a lot of people there."

He also got to spend some time hanging out with defensive line coach Mike Smith. The two have been talking for a while now, but Miller was glad to finally meet him in person.

"It was really good. I've talked to him on the phone before, and he's a real great guy. He's really cool, and we were talking about everything. He's really fun to be around with just the type of guy he is, just talking about him playing at Tech, playing in the league and things like that. It was really nice because we got to see the other side of the coaches, just getting to hang out with them. That was really fun."

With his visit now in the books, where do the Red Raiders sit with the Keller native?

"Going into the visit and getting the offer, I already knew Tech was a great place, and it means a lot to have an offer from a place like that, and I knew it was going to be good, but going into the visit and seeing everything, I really got to see everything that Tech has to offer from an academic standpoint and on the field. Tech is going to always be a school that's going to be in my consideration, and I'd definitely say they're in my top three right now."

He doesn't know who the other teams are in his top three right now, however. Miller also noted he could make a decision this summer or early in the fall, as he wants to make sure to take some more visits before ultimately deciding. He's not sure where all he wants to visit quite yet, though.

--McKay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.