ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Way Too Early Scouting Report: Cincinnati pres. by TreeLine Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Been a bit since I’ve taken a look at one of these teams but next up is the Cincinnati Bearcats, a team that I’m pretty impressed with from a macro-level so let’s jump right into it.

Fresh Face at QB

Pretty interesting quarterback situation here for the Bearcats who lost Emory Jones but replaced him pretty well with Indiana transfer Brendan Sorsby, who was thrust into action as a redshirt freshman after winning the job.

Sorsby started seven games for the Hoosiers in 2023, throwing for 1,632 yards on 136/239 (56.9) passing with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions. Interesting college quarterback, really solid thrower of the football who is really accurate underneath.

Sorsby is also a threat on the ground with 60 carries for 269 yards and three touchdowns. With a large frame of 6-3 230 pounds, Sorsby is able to lower the shoulder and make guys miss, something that he is not afraid to do at all.

I’m personally going to be very interested in how this works out for Cincinnati since Sorsby has some really promising tape as a sophomore.

Leading Pair in Offensive Skill

Cincy returns their lead back, Corey Kiner, who was a 1,000-yard rusher in 2023 on 192 carries. The former LSU import is a physical back from his 5-9 215 frame and was up there with Tahj Brooks with 48 missed tackles forced in 2023.

Behind Kiner at RB is Ohio State transfer Evan Pryor and Grambling transfer Chance Williams who will both have the chance to spell the lead man in Kiner.

At WR, the leader is Xzavier Henderson, who returns for another year at Cincinnati after a 57 reception (98 targets) 762 receiving yard season in 2023 where he found the endzone three times.

Beyond Henderson, I’m not super impressed with the pass catching options at WR and TE, which is seen below.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 230126.png

Dominant Trenches

I am really, really impressed with the Bearcats on both sides of the trenches. First, the offensive line.

Right guard Luke Kandra made my All-Big 12 squad while center Gavin Gerhardt was worth a look on the film and was heavily considered for a spot in the top five. Both are really strong zone run blockers and Kandra possesses some strong pass protection.

The rest of the Cincy OL is three experienced players who are all returning for the Bearcats with John Williams (6-5 310) at LT, Dartanyan Tinsley (6-5 310) at LG and Deondre Buford (6-3 315) at RT.

On the DL, the leader is Dontay Corleone, who is an all-conference caliber 0-3 technique defensive tackle who was very productive in minimal snaps. He wins with strength and pad level despite being a bit undersized alongside an extremely impressive motor after disengagement before using good tackling form and takes good angles to QB.

Beyond Corleone, it’s a bit thin but senior edge rusher Eric Phillips and senior interior DT Jalen Hunt should provide some depth while Temple transfer Darian Varner will be an interesting add off the edge.

LBs & Secondary

The linebacking corps is without a doubt the thinnest portion of the defense with West Virginia transfer OLB Jared Bartlett leading the way. Bartlett recorded five pressures against the Texas Tech offensive line in last season's matchup.

At corner, the returning standout Jordan Young leads the way after a solid year for the Bearcats after transferring in from Florida but is a player that can get overwhelmed by good athletes and foot speed, so I will be interested to see how Tech attacks the secondary.

Beyond Young, it’s a portal heavy class, which can be seen below and will be interesting to see heading into late September.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 231713.png

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News