ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Mandatory Financial Literacy Classes

sma117

Red Raider
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Just curious to get everyone's thoughts on making it mandatory for grades 6-12 having a Financial Literacy course. Something more than just learning how to balance a checkbook in home economics class.

There are so many people that graduate high school and college without even knowing the basics of personal finance much less intermediate finance concepts. Given we live in a free market economy (with a lot of government intervention), everyone's personal economic future is contingent on the fundamentals of finance.

There are so many people that don't even know what a balance sheet is. Heck...there are probably some reading this now Googling what is a Balance Sheet.

Without this knowledge, it exacerbates the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer.

Given I eat, sleep, and breath the Finance world, I feel like I have a massive advantage over a large part of the population who don't even understand the concept of financial statements.

I'm a pure capitalist at heart, but without the tools (knowledge), capitalism can't function appropriately.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Air Raider and THA3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.