ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Texas Tech Pro Day (1:07 update)

D. Kohnle

Captain
Gold Member
Feb 19, 2014
Lubbock, TX
I'm out at the Indoor Training Facility covering Tech's pro day this morning. I'll try and keep a running thread of notable developments.

Scheduled participants:

Ryan Bustin - no showed
Reshod Fortenberry
Rodney Hall
Bradley Marquez
James Polk,
Sam Eguavoen
Austin Stewart
Kenny Williams
VJ Fehoko,
Sadale Foster
Bruce Jones
Chris Payne
Zac Winbush
Brent Mitcham
Dorian Crawford - late addition

There are 15 scouts represented so far today. Cowboys, 49ers, Falcons, Rams, Packers, Panthers, Raiders, Seahawks, Giants, Chargers, Saints, Patriots, Redskins, Titans and Colts have all sent out scouts.

Notes:

They cater to the scouts and not the media at these types of events, so I wasn't able to get a lot of the official times and measurements for the participants. I will keep an eye out though and will post as soon as possible. I will report on what I saw though.

-Bradley Marquez had a good day today, easily the best of all the participants. His indoor drills (BP, Vertical, Broad jump) were all pretty standard for a guy his size. He really showed off some good skills in the outdoor drills though. He looked good in the 40 and looked very fluid in the shuttle and 3-cone drills. He was also the only real receiver in attendance (Brent Mitcham excluded) and was the best receiver by far in the drills. I don't think he changed any scouts' mind in regards to a draft pick, but all the scouts seemed to take notice of his day and really like him as a person.

-Kenny Williams also had another nice day today. I don't know what his official height and weight measurements were but he definitely has a big, tough build about him. He bench pressed 225 25 times today which would've tied him for third among all running backs at the NFL combine. He looked good in the RB drills and made some nice cuts in and out of breaks. He made some nice catches and ran good routes in the receiving drills too. Things to look for with him are his official 40 time and how tall he ended up being.

-VJ Fehoko measured in at 5'10 officially which is kind of unfortunate for him. He looked average in the jumping drills but blew everyone out of the water with 32 reps of 225 on bench which would have put him 2nd amongst LBs (behind Vic Beasley) at the combine. It was a great display of power by him, especially seeing it in person. VJ really excelled in the position drills though surprisingly and made some nice cuts, showed some good hips and made some nice grabs in their drills.

-I don't know if Austin Stewart did anything to improve his stock in any areas nor did he do anything that would hurt him really. He looked pretty good in his 40 time, he bench pressed 225 16 times showing some nice power, made some nice jumps in the vertical and looked good in the shuttle and cone drills. I guess I was kind of expecting a bit more from him, so he disappointed me a bit. He looked okay in the position drills.

-Sam Eguavoen passes the eye-ball test for sure. He has a big upper body and his legs look like tree trunks, he only measured in at 6-foot, 222 though I believe, so he obviously needs to get bigger (if possible). One thing he needed to excel in though today was the 40, I only caught one of his runs, and it looked kind of average though. In the same vein as VJ, he looked better than expected in the LB drills today. I don't know if he changed anyone's mind, but he passed the eye-ball test.

-Sadale Foster and Bruce Jones definitely kept in shape this past year and they looked great, but I don't think they did anything to change anyone's perception of them especially after they didn't really gain any looks last year either.

-Polk and Fortenberry looked rather pedestrian in their drills. Both didn't show any type of athleticism really and Polk benched the same amount as Marquez (12) and Fortenberry I think was around 20 or so which was behind both Kenny and VJ. Rodney Hall also didn't have a very good day either unfortunately. He looked slow and lacks good hands.

-Seth Doege was also in attendance to throw to the receivers but some contract logistics kept him from throwing. Instead, the receivers and running backs got to catch passes from old geezers and has-beens who could barely throw a spiral beyond 20 yards. Instead of showing off their skills catching passes near the sideline or making catches on the run, they got to show off how well they could adjust to poorly thrown balls. It didn't hurt the receivers really but it would have been nice to see Doege throwing dimes to them instead of the scouts.

This post was edited on 3/13 1:35 PM by D. Kohnle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.