ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Baron Batch and Dr Batch Gift to Tech folk

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
A all west Texas team came to Littlefield a few days ago. Dr Skip Batch called for the operating room , a old Odessa Permian Wide Receiver Gary Evans and wanted to GIVE our Hamilton Soaring Club a glider. At 16 Gary did a 550 mile flight.He landed and did not know where he was, he flew off the map and followed the clouds. He aske the farmer, where am I. He said Colo. !!!!!!!!!!

So off our guys went to Littlefield to take it apart and put on trailer and back to Hamilton. The Hamilton Group all are West Texas guys including me , Monterey and Tech.

Gary Evans who qualified for US Sailplane Champ twice, Neil Muxworthy, Pilot number ONE our of LA on Wide Bodied jets and Wally Scott Jr. 3.8 Tech engineering major. Google his Dad, Sailplanes great at long distance flight. 3 time flying from Odessa to North Platt Neb!! Most sailplane pilots are airline or ex military.

Wally Jr and others were in the party. This glider was amazing, perfect. Dr Batch on the weekends was a fine pilot and ran a small operation but Midland airport cause it to be closed. Google Wally Scott Sr and Soaring . All the kids went to Tech.

Now if that is not enough, the richest family in Odessa has redone their Dads glider and they want to give it to us!! We have no more hangar space.! The club went from about 10 to 70 in 4 years. City will not let us build private hangars.?

This club was financed by Jim Callaway , a Category one pilot and me , a no class pilot who invested much in pipelines.

Now Dr Batch said Baron who played for Pitt Steelers for 6 years is still up that way doing art things.

Now part 2 and Important.
I have said many times on this board you have some of the best flying weather in the USA. There was a nice operation at Littlefield. A doctor who was very active died. His hangar is STILL there.
You guys could probably get something going easy. He was a dermatologist I think. The Soaring Society and me could guide you. I could put a little money up for old times sake. Lubbock did train 60 percent of all glider pilots during the War. There were 4 regional contest there and I flew two.

Now the Air Force Academy buys all new high performance gliders every year. Then they transition to jets. We are hosting the !-26 National in Hamilton late this year and THEN, the World Chap will be in Uvlade, early Sept. Two of our pilots will be towing. Those foreign women look pretty nice !!

Hubcity 817 738 1016 if you want to talk. Plainview had some sailplane's at one time. I recall being at 16000 over that airport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News