ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Notes and quotes from Texas Tech's Midland scrimmage

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
... "For the most part, there was high effort, high energy, protected the football, which was exciting to see."

... "He's doing well. We've been practicing him. We just felt like, in this environment, with guys going hard, if he were to fall or something like that, we didn't need that to happen. He's been practicing every day and playing really well."

... Kingsbury said that the quarterback competition won't be over "for a while." He expects the competition to carry over into the fall.

... The original plan was for Mahomes to go through the first half of the scrimmage and then head back to Lubbock in time for the Red Raider baseball team's game against Kansas. Kingsbury said that the plan changed during the week.

... Shimonek "did okay." "We've got to calm him down. It was his first time to play live in front of people in a while."

... Kingsbury said he's been "very impressed" with how Pat Mahomes has handled everything this spring.

... Kingsbury praised the crowd today in Midland. "I can't thank them enough for all of their support."

... Breiden Fehoko "is playing better and better in practice."

... Kingsbury said that Rika Levi has lost about 40 pounds.

... "Justin has really developed on and off the field. He's really matured a lot. [...] I think he's put on 10 pounds of muscle."

... Kingsbury said that Stockton is more physical in the run game now compared to last year.

... Kingsbury said that he doesn't think Jalen Barnes' injury is as bad as was first feared.

... David Gibbs said that the defense "probably [wasn't] ready for a spring game yet as far as installation, learning a new defense, learning a new scheme, terminology, all of that."

... "The kids played hard. They flew around. Made some good plays, made some bad plays. We're in transition right now. We're a work in progress."

... "We will create our turnovers come next season. The problem is right now -- and I've been saying this for nine practices now -- our offense has done a great job of protecting the football this spring. They really have."

... Gibbs said that Micah Awe is "far and away" Texas Tech's best linebacker right now.

... Josh Outlaw "has all the potential in the world but potential will only get you so far." "He's got to mature on the field, off the field. He's got to grow up. [...] As far as his football potential, he's going to be a good football player."

... "Breiden should be at his high school prom right about now. For the first six practices before spring break, he was finding his way, feeling his way. This week, all of a sudden, Tuesday, Thursday and again out there today, he's kind of feeling his oats and he's growing up right before us as well as y'all. We're going to play anywhere from eight to 10 defensive linemen anyway. He's going to be in the rotation regardless. He's going to be something special at some point."

... "No matter what happens, we will be a lot better against the pass. Y'all will not sit there and hate our secondary. I'm a defensive back coach by nature so I'm going to call the game to protect those guys. They're getting better every day. Are they good enough right now? No. If we played a game today, coach Kingsbury would score 50 points on us. Those guys are getting better and that's all I can ask."
This post was edited on 3/28 1:42 PM by A. Dickens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.