ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Tyler Shough vs. Iowa State Analysis

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
Admittedly, this was a weird watch, for a couple of reasons. The first reason being the way the Oregon coaching staff rotated the quarterbacks, it seemed to be based on "feel" which made it completely non-sensical. Secondly, in typical Iowa State fashion, every break went their way, so a game that was closely played, was not really close on the scoreboard.

Before looking at the film, it's important to understand the context of Shough's play. He started the game, and led the Ducks to a touchdown on the first drive. On the second drive, the running back fumbled, and Shough was replaced until there was 4:07 left in the third quarter. The score was 14-7 when he was taken out, 31-17 when he returned.

Even when he came back in the second half, the first two drives he played followed the same script; two positive plays, got the Ducks into a 3rd and short, was replaced, and the first down was not reached.

He then was given the complete last drive of the game with Oregon down 34-17.

Let's start with the negative...

The first play in this clip isn't really a negative until the throw. He does a good job avoiding the rush, keeping his eyes downfield, and going through his progressions. However, when he decides to check it down, the throw is just way off, and pretty close to being intercepted.

The second play is worse, it's a bad sack to take in this situation and he did have receivers open. Sure the rush got to him right as he wanted to throw the post to the #1 receiver on the left, but he needs to feel that pressure sooner. Either buy more time or find a different option.

Oregon asked Shough to be involved in a lot of designed runs, most were pretty well done, this one is not. It's just a simple speed option where the play side tackle leaves the defensive end unblocked and the QB reads him. Shough's initial angle isn't great, he needs to run at the outside leg of that end and force him to make a decision. Since he slow plays it some, the missed block on the defensive tackle impacts his decision. He pitches it early, and allows the end to string the play out.

Finally, with game on the line and the slim chance of victory riding on this play... Shough throws the game clinching interception. Iowa State shows a blitz involving both inside linebackers, at the snap, one drops off into zone coverage and Shough never sees him. Part of that is because of the immediate pressure in his lap, but he can't miss that guy.

Now to the good stuff...

I really like this first play, the throw isn't perfect, but it's exactly what you have to do against Iowa State; take what they give you. Shough and the receiver find a spot in the zone, and get an easy first down. You can also see how Shough stares down the route in the flat in order to create the opening in that zone.

Here's another example of Shough using his eyes to create openings in that ISU defense. Oregon calls a screen (which I always want Tech to do more of against the Cyclones, but I digress), and watch how Shough uses his eyes to manipulate the back 7 that sets up easier blocks for the OLine.

Here is just an example of Shough making something out of nothing, which the Red Raiders have desperately needed at the QB position. Oregon is running a simple Curl/Flat read, ISU plays it well, and so Shough is forced to improvise. First down.

This may be my favorite play of the game, Shough shows off all that he is bringing to the table. Excellent pocket awareness, good pocket movement, eye movement, and the cannon attached to his right shoulder. I think Oregon is running that same Curl/Flat concept, ISU covers it again, but this time Shough goes through the rest of his reads to create a big play.

Plays like this last one aren't ones that are going to be on the game highlights, but they are winning plays. This is on 2nd & 11, if Shough takes a sack or throws it away, the chances of converting the third down shrink, as does the playbook. This "simple" 5 yard check down changes the whole complexion of 3rd down. That's not even to mention the incredible skill and arm strength it took to pull this off.

For a sheer numbers comparison, below is what Texas Tech QBs have done against Iowa State since 2018:

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.06.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.06.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.06.58 AM.png

and here is Shough:

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.34.36 AM.png

I'm fully aware that the weirdness of a one bowl game sample size against Iowa State is not something that should be used as a foundation for rock solid opinions, but I think it's also pretty clear that Shough would have given Texas Tech the best chance to win any of the games listed above, and that's really all we can ask for at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.