ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to judge interest in Sailplane/ Glider / Airplane interest in general Lubbock area

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
I have posted Lubbock is a great place to fly and fly sailplanes. I have just pledged $ 45,000 to this matter for a training glider. This will be a 501 C.

I cannot reveal the location yet but you will be happy, easy drive.

For planning we would like you to send a letter to my son in Houston. Tell us male or female, age, and any past flying experience in gliders or power planes and time in those aircraft.

We will need a tow plane or rent one. A 182 or Pawnee would be great.

I was a founder in Houston club in late 70, 19 of us and now 200.

I was one of two founders of Hamilton Club now 90. WE have a National contest going right now.

If you are interested I suggest you buy and read, The Joy of Soaring. Also Morority New Mex has a great program where you can go and get your ticket. in a week I think. Glider time counts one for one to power.

Send info to my son, a pastor and he will do a spread sheet. Bo Fisher 1909 Jessie Lane, Pasadena, Texas 77502. We will have to grow slow. Matador Club guys will be most welcome. We will also have a Cessna 150 for members to fly .

It will take us some time to get our ducks in a row on this great needed project . Remember 60 percent of all glider pilots were trained in Lubbock. Those were glider that just glided down.

Sailplanes had long wings like U 2 spy plane and sensitive instruments that tell you when you are in Rising air. I have been to 16000 ft over Littlfield at a contest there. My longest flight was 7.5 hours and 270 miles. Years ago some Odessa guy flew across the Platt River in NEB. Google ASW 12 sailplanes.

Look at Hamilton Soaring Club web page., and Texas Soaring Association and Houston Soaring Club to get a feel. Another fellow and I started Hamilton Soaring Club it in a town about like Slaton. Texas Spur and I flew down there once long ago. It was a WW2 Glider field. Now have 90 members and 10 young teen ladies who are very good. You have to help each other so it builds life long friendships. Google pictures of various sailplanes and take a look. Hubcity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.