ADVERTISEMENT

Today is D - Day/ Lubbock and Texas part in this is impressive

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
First, Texas had more airbases than any state. We had very good weather in west Texas, second to only Ariz. In Lubbock there were 2 bases.
Reese to the west 15 miles where my Dad trained and one a the east side of Lubbock airport called, South Plains Army Airfield. South Plains trained 60 percent of all Gliders used in D day and later in the war. My Dads log book reflects many 2 tow Glider tows into France and some 5 and 6 hour missions into France.

I know of many Lubbock men who served in the War. One flew 50 missions in B 17. Another was shot down in B 24 and was in prison camp. My Dad flew gasoline to Patton and the wounded out. Many area men served in the War and came back and build good professional lives in Lubbock under the Govt. program to educated ex fighters. I think Lubbock was about 30,000 back then.

Now here is one of the main reasons the USA could help win the war, in fact it could not have been won with out this. Do you know what it is?

Oil. Without oil Europe would have failed. Were did this oil come from? TEXAS!

Oil was being shipped out of Lake Charles area on tankers. German U Boats sunk 114 tanker and crew trying to get to East Coast for shipping to Europe. We were losing this fight.

So the Pentagon was looking for and answer and the found it.
Where, Shreveport La. There was a large pipeline company there called United Gas. They requested that United Gas build a pipeline to Penn. to ship the oil for the big giant oil field of East Texas. I think a similar one was later built out of far west Texas and the Yates field to upper mid west.

Who really built these pipelines.

Engineers from Texas AM.
I went to Normandy a few years back and watched a movie about the War. General Ike said the only reason we could get into Germany was the AM engineers who built the bridges across all the minor and major rivers . He said AM put more officers in the Army by far than West Point.

So without United Gas and AM engineers and east and west Texas oil all the folks on the East Coast would be speaking German or Russian and they don't even know it.

So we are grateful to all the West Texas Airman and Tech warriors and tip our hats to the Aggies for our freedoms this day. Now we have a war on oil?? SAD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.