The Red Raider Confidential (June 28th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
258006.jpg

It’s time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well … confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Gray Narrowing Things Down

After taking his long awaited visit to Stanford last week, it appears as though underrated tackle Joel Gray is beginning to zero in on making a decision.

"I'm starting to narrow things down quite a bit," said the star big man. "I'm still planning on committing before the season starts. Now, whether that's next week or August 21st, I have no idea."

When speaking with Gray earlier this week, we got the sense that the recruiting game is really starting to be something that he’s ready to be finished with.

"I'm just kind of ready for it to all be over," he said. "I'm ready to be done and find my home. I feel like I've done my homework and looked at all the schools I could, and so now I just have to sit down and start narrowing things down.”

For now, Gray is looking at Texas Tech, Stanford, Louisville, and UCLA, but expect that list to be trimmed down a bit in the near future.

We have no idea when Gray will make his decision or where he'll end up, but we do know that Tech is very much still in the game with their top OL target at this point, and that's about all you can ask for. Tech fans should keep those fingers crossed in the coming days/weeks, because landing Gray would be a huge get for the Red Raiders.

We continue to think that Gray is one of the top talents in the state and one of the more underrated players in the country and can't stress enough just how valuable he would potentially be to this class and this program. Again, like we said, Tech fans should probably be keeping their fingers crossed until he makes his decision.

Source: Karam tells Tech he's solid

You obviously read the news about Jacob Karam's conversation with fellow commitment E.J. Celestie and his intent to remain a Red Raider.

However, we did want to add something to that report that we think fans will appreciate.

We can confirm through a source close to the situation that Karam initiated a phone conversation with a member of Mike Leach's coaching staff informing them of his intent to remain a Red Raider.

"He told them he was solid and would honor his commitment to them," the source said. "And he's excited about it."

Based on our dealings with him what we know about Karam we'd be shocked if he didn't ink with the Red Raiders when it comes time. We don't think he'll take a visit to Norman and we think he has or will tell Oklahoma that he appreciates their interest but he's found his home.

If anything changes we will report it but as of now this appears to be a dead issue.

At some point soon we will speak with Karam himself about the situation but right now respecting his wishes and privacy is what we've tried to do.

Fehoko: “Tech is still my favorite”

We updated everyone earlier in the week about the impressive performance of ’10 linebacker Sam Fehoko at the All-Poly Camp in Utah.

“The camp itself had about 600 enrollment and they cut it down to 300,” said Fehoko. “It was great though because I picked up at least seven verbals.”

Observers wanted to see the Honolulu standout from the two positions that he plays at in high school to see if one would translate better than the other at the next level.

“I was playing outside linebacker and defensive end. There were close to 100 defensive players and about 75 defensive linemen. It was pretty crazy.”

Since Fehoko was a freshman in high school, he’s been going to college campuses and over powering prospects that are two to three years older than him. He’s been able to accomplish a lot of this because of his relentless attitude and determination.

“To me, I always think that I can beat anybody. I’m not cocky, just confident. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great players around the country.

“Some of the Island boys were at the All-Poly Camp. The competition was heavy with some big time recruits. To stand out, I felt that I worked my butt off and when it comes down to it, I’ll bring it. I guess that’s why the coaches liked my intensity and they saw that.”

Many have wondered what kind of names were there and who the individuals were that Fehoko went up against or played beside.

Lynn Katoa’s brother is big. His name is Tim Katoa, he’s a defensive lineman. I was playing with Manti Te’o, and a couple of big time safeties from the Island. There are a lot of big names from the island. On offense, there were a couple of quarterbacks that are supposed to be big recruits. I couldn’t tell you their names though.”

Outside of camps and combines, Sam’s mother has been trying to monitor all the mail that comes through their door.

“Recruiting has been crazy. I don’t know as far as how much mail I’ve been getting. But before I left, it was all looking like Tennessee, Michigan State, Arkansas, UCLA, BYU, Utah, Auburn, Clemson, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Oklahoma.”

The contact is limited because of the time of the year.

“The rule right now is that they can’t talk to me unless they see me in person. A lot of schools are just coming to the schools and guaranteeing verbals because they can’t talk to me.”

Don’t worry Red Raider fans; Fehoko has no problem finding ways to keep in touch with the West Texas program.

“I’ve been calling Texas Tech. That’s really it, just Texas Tech. Sometimes all these other college coaches don’t leave contact information. If I see coaches, like a coach from Cal that I talked to recently, I’ll keep in touch and in contact with them. But I call only Tech on a regular basis.Coach Mitchell was the last guy that I talked to and it was about the camp.”

The fact that Fehoko has no problem coming out and admitting that Tech is his favorite right now should be a great thing. But it seems that its also driving the competition.

“A lot of these other college coaches already know that I’m into Tech and that’s what brings them real hard.”

After Fehoko came and stayed with his older brother for an entire week during the spring, he told us that he could see himself at Tech and that the Red Raiders set the bar very high for the other schools recruiting him. With all these letters and attention continuing to pile up, has that changed any?

“Nah, I still feel that way. Tech is the first school that I visited and that’s the reason they’re in my top. My brother is there and I know he won’t b.s. me or lie to me. That’s why I feel they’re still in my top and they will be in my top until I make a decision my senior year.”

Tech and other programs aren’t the only ones noticing either as ESPN analysts are already paying attention to the soon-to-be junior.

Tom Lemming projected me as the top prospect in Hawaii for the class of 2010. He said that I’ll be a big time recruit by the time my junior year comes around. He’s got a lot of say in the Army and Under Armour games and he’s basically already told me that I have a spot in those camps. He said that Hawaii talent is getting better every year, so for him to name me the top player is a great honor.”

And still, Fehoko is not done camping this summer.

“I’m going to head to a Maui Camp and it will have about 30 college coaches there. It’s a three day camp. It’s not as big as the All-Poly camp, but similar in some ways. I’ll head there next and then that will be it for the summer.”

So when’s the next time Tech fans can see Fehoko?

“I would love to come to Tech for a game this year. It depends on my season and how far we go. I’d love to make it to UT or Nebraska. I really want to go with my mom and dad. Actually, the whole family wants to come. But it all depends on whether or not my season ends early. But hopefully I can make a trip up there.”

Celestie’s background

All last week we used quotes and had over a dozen conversations with Barbe High School (Lake Charles, Louisiana) track coach Johnny Giordano. Athlete and Tech commit E.J. Celestie has been living under his roof for over six years and refers to him as ‘dad’. So how did all this come about?

“I met him when he was nine and it wasn’t the greatest living situation that he was in,” recalled Giordano. “But I convinced his mom after I saw her one day that he was unbelievable.

“I told her, ‘Your son has abilities that are not normal for somebody who’s 9 or 10 years old. If you let me train and support him then I can tell you that one day he will get school for free. That’s the only way he’s going to get a scholarship. He possesses that type of ability.’”

It’s really an amazing story about how Celestie eventually rose to a commitment at the Division-I level.

“He stayed with his grandmother soon after that and she gave him a good background. He’s a yes sir, no sir, and never argues or says a word and he’s always been like that. He’s kind of a dream kid. His grandma caught into let me keeping him. She passed away about four years ago but she kept him in church and kept him well grounded.”

Celestie now lives with Giordano, who couldn’t be any happier about Celestie becoming a Red Raider.

“I want him to get his due. The kid is having the best time of his life and he’s supposed to. He can’t wait to go for a gameday experience there.”

The deciding factor for Celestie

If Louisiana Athlete E.J. Celestie had been thinking about Texas Tech for the last four years. Why did he need nine days to reassure himself that Lubbock needed to be his home at the Division-I level? Father figure and track coach Johnny Giordano explains tells us what single event made him realize that Tech was his home:

Us bringing him to Florida was really a good thing. It wasn’t that it was a bad experience and he did well there. But the job that Tech did as far as making him feel wanted and the way they do it is significantly different and it did not take long for him to figure that out.

At Florida, they put guys on him that are supposed to be good and it didn’t take him long to get open on them either. They were saying how they really like him, but they have other kids they wanted to look at. I just told Ernest that’s the way they do business because they can get anyone they want. But we could tell that Tech really wanted him to be there and play football there.

At that point, it became a no brainer. If I didn’t bring him to Florida, he would’ve always wondered ‘what if’. They both play good competition and I know he’ll be happy there.

Plus, it makes me happy about how we talked about Tech for three or four years and then he finally has an opportunity to go there. He felt real good when we left there. I don’t think the visits could’ve gone better for either party. He’s probably better than anyone thought he was when he got there. And I think he was more excited about Tech when he left . I’m looking forward to changing my golf bag and I have my red and black one on order. I can’t say enough about their relationship building because every coach he talked to, they made him feel important and made him feel like it was a good place to be. I don’t have to worry about him being there either. I can sit back in the recliner and relax and know he’s going to be fine there.

Zeno went all out

The role that former Tech basketball star Martin Zeno had in E.J. Celestie’s commitment can’t be talked about enough.

“Martin’s been a friend of mine for 10 years probably,” said Giordano. “When he was in middle school I met him. We’ve stayed in close contact and he gets training ideas and stuff like that from us. I don’t know any about basketball and won’t pretend that I do, but I’ve known him since he was small.

He’s known Ernest since he was 10 or 11 years old as well and he’s always encouraged him and talked to him. And I told him a few years ago that I was interested in him coming to Tech and getting seen.”

It was a Saturday night when the three of them met up after the Tech mini-camp. Zeno could’ve been many other places, but yet he took his personal time to hang out with a 17-year old kid. A kid that means a lot to Zeno.

“Martin reemphasized everything that we knew,” said Giordano. “Ernest talks about how everyone is nice; the people at the restaurants, the grocery store, the hotel, everywhere. Martin hung out with us while we were in town and we really didn’t talk much football that night. We just told him that Ernest had a great time and a lot of interest. Martin just had nothing negative to say about Tech and said if he had to do it all over again, he would.”

Speaking of Zeno …

Here’s a short Q&A about his current situation right now;

RRS: So what happened after the draft on Thursday night?

MZ: My agent just called and told me that the Lakers wanted me to try out to be on their summer league team. That’s a step towards something.

RRS: What’s your thoughts about that?

MZ: It’s good. There are some different ways to make it and I figure this is one of the ways. They’re giving me a chance. So really that’s all it takes.

RRS: When do you go to workouts?

MZ: That’s a good question I really don’t have an answer to. I think the summer league starts July 7th. Workouts start around the 4th and 5th. I’m not sure where they’re at yet either.

RRS: So what is it that you do between now and then?

MZ: Nothing, I’m just on vacation right now. I’m chillin’. I’m about to go home next week. I’m staying ready.

This is a good situation for Zeno. Whether or not he makes the summer league team, the European league starts shortly after the conclusion of the summer league. It’s an assumption on our part that Zeno would most likely head overseas after this summer. But only time will tell and we’ll keep you all updated as Zeno has been kind enough to call us all last week on a daily basis.

Sims Looking Hard at Tech

Running back Charles Sims has been careful to say all the right things in an effort to keep from rocking the boat. Having already committed to Houston, Sims is still looking around, and Texas Tech is a big reason for his willingness to stay open.

“It was really nice when Tech offered,” he said. “It was exciting. They’re a big time school. They want me mainly as a running back, I believe. But I’m not 100% sure about that.”

He told us earlier in the week that he wants to get out and see “other schools,” but went on to explain that when he says that, he is just simply referring to Texas Tech only.

“Well, right now Tech is the only other school I’m really wanting to see,” he said. “It’s pretty much Texas Tech and Houston at this point. Those are just the two I like the most.”

One aspect of his recruitment that hasn’t really been talked about much is relationship with Tech commit De’Anthony Sims.

“We’re not related or anything like that, we’re just real tight,” Charles Sims said with a laugh. “We’re real close, he’s like my brother. He’s trying real hard to get me to go there with him. We’ll have to see. I’m going to visit there for sure, and we’ll see what happens. I have to get that visit scheduled for sure though.”

Right now, things look pretty good with the offensive athlete. If he’s still on Tech’s radar during the season and he takes an official visit, the allure of playing for a major program in a BCS conference might just be too much to pass up.

Simmons Working on Cathey

When news broke earlier this week that Tech is heavily recruiting Tennessee product Romario Cathey, most folks within the Tech community assumed that Dennis Simmons might have had a hand in the situation. And as it turns out, they were 100% correct.

“Coach Dennis Simmons is the one recruiting me for Texas Tech,” said Cathey. “They’ve been calling me and it’s just been really flattering because I didn’t expect that at all. I like Tech a lot because Coach Dennis sat me down and showed me what I needed to do to get there and that just showed me that this is the big time. They really want me to do well, and if they want me to do that well, maybe I should listen. It just kind of made it clear that I need to take care of my business.”

So just who is in the lead for the athletic big man’s services?

“I’m going to have to say Texas Tech right now,” he said. “Because me and my Mama sat down after everyone starting calling all the time, and we just decided that we really appreciated how he sat down with us and explained everything and all the academics and just the whole thing. We really liked that, so I’m going to have to say Texas Tech’s in the lead.”

Q&A: Abilene Cooper head coach Mike Spradlin

RRS: The first thing a lot of people thought about when your safety Will Ford switched his commitment from OU to Tech, was ‘well, how can we trust him?’ How solid is this commitment to Tech?

MS: He’s going to stick with this. Bottom-line is this is it. There’s nothing against OU but I think the first one he got a little ‘wowed’ and made an emotional decision. I think this one has been well thought out. I think he definitely feels like this is where he fits. I think on the unofficial visit he really loved [special teams] Coach Clay McGuire and the coaches. He really sees himself there. I think he understands the word commitment and he understands he can’t do this again.

RRS: How did his decision change go down?

MS: This whole process is crazy. We’re getting kids as sophomores that are offered. It’s tough for us to manage. It’s not always tough on the college guys but tough on us too. We’re trying to help the kids do the same thing. But I always ask my players to be a team guy and I tell them that the one decision they have to make is where they’re going to go to college. He has to decide on whether or not they’re going to be happy.

We talked a little different about this decision because I don’t want him doing this again. This has been a three or week decision for him. I think he’s wanted to commit to Tech for about three or four weeks now. I just think before he made the decision he wanted to make sure this is what he wanted to do. He’s convinced me of it, I’ll tell you that.

You guys have watched this process evolved. It’s tough on kids. It makes the early commit thing a little more of a process. We try to make our kids committed and also make the colleges stay committed to them. That was the big thing to me as to whether or not Tech was committed to him and they are. They’re not backing out either. That’s what this has created. It’s tough on kids and tough on us.

RRS: Can you talk about the recruitment that first year coach Clay McGuire did on this deal?

MS: Clay is an Art Briles prospect, Art recruited him. Art and I are good friends and I worked for him and we played at U of H. I’ve known him for a while. He’s a top notch guy. He’s done this really well.

There’s been no pressure. Even when will committed to OU, he didn’t quit writing him. I think Clay has done a great job with Will and he’s done it right .I think he’s going to be a great recruiter for Tech. He has a great presence about him. I’ve been very impressed with Clay for a while.

RRS: How do you describe Ford’s playing ability?

MS: The best way I can describe is it that he’s a fast and fierce competitor. He’s extremely physical but also tremendously fast. When he arrives, he arrives in a bad mood. He started for us my first year here as a sophomore. I watched him really blossom last year. He’s becoming extremely intelligent about football and where he fits. He’s a fierce competitor and extremely physical. He’s a physical guy with speed.

On his highlight video, there’s a video of him tackling the running back at Temple (2010 RB Lache Seastrunk) and he knocks him off his feet. He’s that kind of guy for us. He’s at 6-foot, 195-pounds, and tremendously hard worker in the weight room. He’s becoming the full package. He’s had a great summer and we’re excited about his senior year.

RRS: So you think Ford will fit nicely in the Tech system?

No question. One thing I did tell Will is that I think he can play quick there. I think he can play quick anywhere he goes though. He’s that kind of player. He’s strong and all those things.

He’s a great return guy, by the way. He’ll have an opportunity to play quick. He’ll have an opportunity to play quick for Tech. I’m convinced we’re done. I’ve told him we need to be. He’s a guy that can play and play quick. I think he’s mentioned that to him but I think he sees some opportunities there to get in the mix fast. He’s probably the best athlete I’ve ever had, just all around athlete.

RRS: What about off the field?

MS: He’s a tremendous leader and likeable guy. He’s a very likeable guy. He’s got a great personality. He’s like any other kid who gets interviewed. He’ll be a team captain for us and he’s leading us right now and working his tail off. He’s been a standup guy for us.

Insight from Abilene

We had a great conversation with reporter Troy Shockley. As of a month ago, he has moved to Oregon and no longer works for the Abilene Reporter-News. But he still had a lot of information to give us regarding Tech’s new commitment safety Will Ford.

RRS: What do you know about Will Ford?

TS: He’s a real good kid. I think he’s kind of growing into himself a little bit, as far a realizing his potential. He started his sophomore year on varsity and I think track helped him out a lot. He’s a regional qualifier two years ago in three or four events and this year he was in regional track for both hurdles, long jump, triple jump, and relay.

He’s a real speedy guy. I think initially where he made his impact was on special teams with his speed. He’s not quite at the level where you think he’ll take it all the way back every time. But he’s getting there.

He has great vision and great feet. Mike Spradlin (Abilene Cooper Head Coach), when he came in there, he kind of rejuvenated their weight and strength training program. A big focus of his is ‘if we’re the stronger team on the field, then we’re going to win more’. In the last two years, the whole strength program has gotten incredible with the amount of guys they’re sending in regional power lifting and several to state. I think those changes have been seen across the board in football. Will is one of those guys. He’s gotten stronger and more body strength. I would be surprised if this year he’s not an impact player on defense and special teams.

RRS: How do you think he’ll fit in at Texas Tech?

TS: I think initially, it will probably like it was in high school. He’s going to have to make that impact on special teams first. The speed of the game is so much different. I think he’s smart enough. He can handle the football part of it with the smarts and understanding the game. He knows the game. He’s getting used to the speed, his skills will translate on special teams as a return guy.

His skills as a defensive back have been getting better. He makes use of his speed and hits real hard. He knows how to tackle people. His actual coverage skills from sophomore to junior year have gotten much better. I think sophomore year he thought his speed would make up for anything. But he got much better on coverage his junior year. He does have the speed to make it over to the other side to make a play, if need be.

RRS: Can you talk about Ford off the field? What about his character as a person?

TS: I think that’s one of the things with Mike Spradlin, that’s his main focus. He wants to make sure that these kids are doing what’s right. I’d hear him after practices, talking to the kids that missed practice just as much to the ones goofing off in class or not getting their grades up. He wants smart players and players that are not just smart but also athletes.

His concept is real complex. It’s not an easy system. He comes from an Art Briles concept. His system is much more complex than other high schools.

Will’s dad is actually a detective I think with the Abilene Police Department. I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure. I know he works with the police department. So he’s not a kid that’s going to get in trouble because of that. And aside from that, I think he’s smart enough to know who he needs to be around and who he doesn’t.

RRS: When Ford made his decision to switch his commitment, he and Spradlin had a long talk for several weeks. What’s your thoughts on Ford changing his mind?

TS: I know that Will probably had a tough time telling him that because commitments are a big thing to him. Not just to a school, but commitments in general. Your word is very important to Spradlin. I’m sure Will had to do some convincing.

When I talked to him at the regional meet, he had a list of five schools. He said he was going to decide soon. Three days after the meet, he made his decision and it struck me as a quick decision. I don’t know where that came from. He told me he wanted to sit and think it out but wanted to have it done before the season started. I don’t know if he had pressure to do it or what.

RRS: What about Abilene High linebacker Chris Williams? You’ve covered him as well. What are your thoughts there.

TS: I think he can go anywhere he wants almost. He’s an unbelievable talent. I think he’s gotten smarter. It seems like every tackle he’d jump up and go crazy when he first started high school. Last year he didn’t do that as much. I think he’s realizing how he needs to act.

LSU is really really after him. I think they’re the ones that are top. I don’t know if they’re at the top but near the top. They’ve been going after him really hard. I don’t know about the others. But I know they’re one showing interest in him and they really want him.

RRS: Can you talk about this Tech pipeline out of Abilene?

TS: Of course Abilene is kind of turning into a Texas Tech central. It seems to be a growing pile there with Taylor Potts and seen several kids that are very successful.

I talked to Mike Leach several times about Taylor and he said sometimes he’s the best QB on the field and makes throws that others can’t. It seems that West Texas kids like to stay close to home.

I don’t know if it’s a growing trend, but Potts had the option to go other places like Michigan. But I think he wants to stay close to home. There’s so many Abilene kids showing up there. I think when kids see it as a growing program with national attention and think if they’re going to go have to be on their own and all else is equal then why not go to a place where they don’t know someone. I think the familiarity is a big thing.

It’s a trend where they can see their family on the weekends and go to school with their friends. At least it’s something they’re to. And you know, Tech is on TV, it’s a growing program, and they’re going to win games. What else do you need?

Roommates

With almost all of the 2008 signees moved in, here is the list of who is living with who:

- Basketball forwards Corbin Ray and Robert Lewandowski
- Wide receiver Cornelius Douglas, offensive linemen Joe King and Deveric Gallington, and running back Harrison Jeffers
- Quarterback Seth Doege, wide receiver Austin Zouzalik, defensive end Ryan Haliburton, and defensive tackle Joey Fowler
- Kicker Donnie Carona, offensive lineman Terry McDaniel, safety Cody Davis, running back Brandon Reid

A first look

We wanted to show some pictures of the newest basketball additions that are here and working out this summer.

Corbin Ray:
1043%5C654994.jpg

Robert Lewandowski:
1043%5C654995.jpg

Publisher’s Note:

Again, I personally wanted to apologize for the delay in posting this report. Robert and I both tried to sneak away for a few days and then the commitments start flowing which turned things into a chaos of sorts in trying to cover things while being shorthanded. Armen was left in charge of the site and also had to do Tech Talk everyday so he was stretched a bit then but Temple and Jordan helped him as much as they could.

Anyway, I’m sorry again and we will do our best to get you another report similar to this before next weekend and get back on track. Thanks again for subscribing to the site and we will try and be better about things in the future.

Level

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here.

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.