ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: The Breakdown – Baylor pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Got this done earlier than usual. Here we go.

-Texas Tech’s overall offensive output was likely good enough to win if the special teams was able to be competent in the first half and the defensive effort was just a bit better.

-Tech’s offensive line was god awful. The left side of Porcher and Merryman was a disaster. I’ve about seen enough of Porcher as a puller, it’s ruining your gap runs, which is the only thing that this line can block.

-Tahj Brooks was once again special, but the special teams errors took the ball out of his hands. Tech dug themselves a hole on teams, had to adjust the game plan to be forced to throw the ball a ton, something that this offensive line isn’t good enough to do for 50 plays.

-Behren’s interception on the cover-two hole shot to Eakin was atrocious. He forced it and it was picked by a lengthy corner. Eakin got jacked and that play turned into a backbreaking moment that turned the game into garbage time in the 3rd quarter. When you needed him most (down 10) Morton made an awful mistake.

-Otherwise, I thought Morton was good. Didn’t make any special plays but he wasn’t asked to, and this OL doesn’t have it in em.

-Defensively, I think Tech was way too afraid of Sawyer Robertson’s legs. There was way too much of the dime stuff with a three-down front, which allowed him to carve Tech up with absolutely zero pressure up front. Robertson has 14 carries for 109 rushing yards on the season, and it was a non-factor vs. Tech.

-Tech’s run defense was awful. It was shocking. Baylor has NFL size upfront but every OL on that line is a poor mover, but they weren’t on Saturday. I think losing Dooda Banks had a lot to do with that.

-I was very frustrated on the rewatch with Tech’s linebackers. It’s astounding how poorly they played after what happened in Tucson. Have to be more consistent, it just cannot be any other way.

Here’s the charting if you want more nuanced thoughts on the line and the offense in general.

IMG_0936.jpeg

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.
@ALL HANDS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.