ADVERTISEMENT

TRANSCRIPT: Tech Talk Interview with Kliff Kingsbury

Kolt Rogers

Red Raider
Staff
Jan 20, 2017
Here is the transcript of the Tech Talk interview earlier today, that featured head coach Kliff Kingsbury.

Q: Did a bunch of your guys stay in town this break?

Kingsbury: A think a few of those guys did. Nic is on a bit of a war path right now when it comes to working out. We actually had the power cut off to the building on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Nic was up there working out in the dark.

Q: Are you seeing a different side of Nic than you’ve seen before?

Kingsbury: No question. When you aren’t the starting quarterback, it's hard to step up and let your true leadership abilities show. We had a few of those dominant leaders in the building the past couple of years. Now that he is the heir-apparent, the work ethic has really increased. We have really see him get to know the offensive lineman and try to develop a relationship with the receivers. You hear him talking after each play, and he’s just a super competitive guy. This offseason, we have really seen a new player, and I’m excited to see him this fall.

Q: We have seen you take a new approach to the defensive side of the ball this spring, tell us a little bit about how that is different.

Kingsbury: Yeah, I've really been alternating every other day with the defense and offense right now, just trying to stay involved on both sides of the ball. One day, I’ll go with the offense just to make sure the quarterbacks are fresh on their signs and reads. The next day, I'll go with the defense. I sit in both meetings each day. I learn a little bit about both sides of the ball, what we lack and what we need to get better on. It’s been good. Having a better feeling about where we are on each side of the ball has helped me as a head coach.

Q: You and the coaching staff are routine kind of guys, where you know about what you’re doing the next week in practice a month in advance. How much has focusing more on both sides changed your routine?

Kingsbury: Not too much. An hour here or there. I’m now in the defensive film room, where in the past I might have been watching other team’s offensive footage. With a guy like Coach Morris, who has been here for a long time, it allows me to really focus more on the defense. Coach Morris has really taken charge of those offensive meetings, and let me be with the defense in team meetings a little more. So far, so good.

Q
: Speak a little about those younger defensive line, Houston Miller for example. Have any of those guys really stood out so far?

Kingsbury: Eli Howard, has really looked good so far. He was a guy who had to sit out last year due to transfer. He has been doing some good thing with the ones. Houston Miller has gained some weight, big strong kid. Nick McCann, Joe Wallace, Noah Jones have all looked good. Nelson Mbanasor has really impressed me so far. We have really just started going, so its an eye-opener right now for some of those guys. I love their work-ethic, and I’m excited to see how this group continues to grow as the year moves on.

Q: Speaking of Houston Miller, every time I open up twitter he seems to be posting about something involving the weight room. Is he one of your more enthusiastic players when it comes to the weight room?

Kingsbury: Yeah, I would say so. I remember when we went to his house he had an american flag patterned belt and some matching weight lifting shoes. He likes to let people know he is working out. Watching him workout is entertaining, there is no lack of emotion.

Q: Speak to some of the JC guys you added at semester.

Kingsbury: Tony Jones, Octavious Morgan and Jaylon Lane are all guys we expect to play a lot for us and contribute right away. We have really had good relationships with these guys for awhile now. They weren’t just last minute guys we tried to grab to fill some holes. This was an extensive process, Coach Gibbs targeted these guys and we recruited them for over a year. They have come in and competed well. Jaylon, Octavious and Vaughn have come in and really pushed guys to get better in the secondary. Tony is a very athletic, stay on the field type of linebacker. He can chase the ball down and cover. I expect all of them to contribute at a high level.

Q: The first of the scrimmages takes place this Saturday. It's a little bit different of an approach than the past. Can you tell us a little bit how it is set up and what are the stake involved for the winners and losers.

Kingsbury: I don’t know much about what is at stake for the losers right now. We really just want to improve competition a little bit for everyone, and make it exciting for the fans.

Q: How big of a deal is the new locker-room and IPF for recruiting?

Kingsbury: It’s very nice, it helps us a lot in recruiting. The stuff we had was nice, and serviceable, but we needed a bit of a fresh start. This allows us to set things up nicely for the players and recruits who are visiting.

Q: Do you expect a big jump in year 1 to year 2 from Derrick Willies?

Kingsbury: So far, so good. I’ve really liked the attitude he has displayed so far. I know he was a bit frustrated at times last year. He had a lot of expectations on him, and he really didn’t get the playing time or the numbers he wanted. He didn’t pout, he was up here all christmas break just working and trying to get better. He has looked good so far this spring. He gives us that much needed size and toughness. He is one of our hardest workers and I expect him to be a much better player in our system.

Q: Speak a little bit about the new staff additions. How have those guys been so far?

Kingsbury: Brandon has been around this offense for awhile. Every coach I talked to raved about him and his abilities as a coach. He brings a very calm demeanor, and he knows what is expected around here. It has been fun to watch him interact with the current group. Coach Jaluke has had great results with guys he has coached in the past at Louisiana Tech and LSU, and we are really excited about him going forward. He is a tremendous teacher and mentor to that running back room. Very excited that worked out the way it did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News