ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Takeaways from Texas Tech’s opening night loss to Tennessee pres. by Treeline Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Going to post my thoughts on the game immediately like I would for a hoops game and will follow up with Tadlock quotes in the same thread here in a bit…

-Kyle Robinson threw the ball pretty well. That fourth inning got away from him but when that ball gets out by a foot and Gavin Kash’s foot is “off” the bag, that’s just a tough break.

-AJ Russell had one of the best starts to an outing I’ve ever seen. Ten strikeouts through four innings were just ridiculous. Tech got to him, and should’ve scored more, but that was a very good outing from a really good pitcher.

-The baserunning mess up on what should’ve been the double by Bravo was frustrating. Tech could’ve had the lead or at least tied the game with the Pompey triple later on.

-The swing and ability to get around the bases from Pompey was super impressive, you can see why he cracked the starting lineup so quickly. Hopefully it continues.

-Josh Sanders was really impressive in relief. It seems like his arm slot changed a little bit and the stuff was playing up from what it was last season.

-The play on the chopper from McGee in the sixth to end the inning was legit. Very, very nice play that was nowhere near routine.

-Frustrating night for Jacob Rogers with a rough outing from a command perspective. Not going to be competitive if you’re unable to find the zone, which overall, Tech did a pretty good job of tonight.

-Tough loss but I was impressed with Tech’s arms sans Rogers against a high-quality lineup in Tennessee. Back at it tomorrow afternoon after hoops in Ames against the Cornhuskers. Like I said, check back in a bit for quotes from Tad.

Quotes from Tad...

On Pompey:

"Yeah, he'll remember that one for the rest of his life. Triple with two guys on, able to drive a couple of runs in, it was a big point in the game at the time and proud of him for putting a good at bat together."

On K-Rob:

"I thought Kyle was fine. Kyle threw the ball good. You know, obviously the ball goes out of the ballpark. You know, guy put a good swing on it, it's gonna happen."

On Sanders & bullpen:

"Yeah, so he's always been a little bit three quarters guy. And it could have possibly been a little different from your angle. I'm not really sure. Fastball command was good."

"If there's a positive about it, got some guys in the game. Moving forward they got in their first game of the year and got their feet wet and learn from it."

On tomorrow:

"We'll go back to the hotel and try to figure that out. I mean, obviously, you got some guys over here that are ready to go and just look at your best option for tomorrow."

On AJ Russell:

"Yeah, so his fastball is got a lot of late life. He's got a little bit of extension in there. It's got some carry. That's all three different ways to say the same thing. When it was up in the zone, you really need to have a really good approach against it, stay short to the ball and we weren't doing that and you might could have done it and still might not get to hit it. We saw it 92-93 on film and knew it was gonna play up to 95 and it was 95-96, it was playing. So good fastball."

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News