ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Stuff I Noticed on Film: Baylor

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
*** For some reason highlights/clips/full game replays have basically become impossible to find, so this will basically be just rewatch thoughts, sorry.***

It's difficult to put into words how much Saturday night sucked. I mean, games like this just happen sometimes, especially with a first year staff and a quarterback making his 3rd start. The Red Raiders were outcoached, outplayed, and basically "son'd" for three straight hours. As much as it pains me, I can live with getting my teeth kicked in, that happens, but Saturday sucked so bad, in particular, because of everything else involved with the game.
  • Night game
  • Sold out
  • Throwbacks
  • Pat Mahomes Night
  • In-State Rival
  • McGuire's former employer and player
I was on record as saying that all of this was a bad thing, that this program is not, currently, good enough to live up to expectations on a week in/week out basis. Deep down though, I was hoping to be wrong, I was hoping that those things were in the past, and that McGuire had ushered in a new era where we were free to have expectations. That's probably unfair, but the realization of you aren't as close to your goal as yo thought is always a tough pill to swallow.

Basically we all fell into this trap...

1667231352079.png

Nothing that happened Saturday makes me any less excited for the future of Texas Tech Football, but, man, I would have like a slightly less harsh dose of reality.

1st Quarter Observations

• I haven't really been on the board since Saturday so I'm not what has all been said about the crowd, it was okay to pretty good early. I expected more, unfortunately Baylor expertly took the crowd out by making the game incredibly boring. Methodically moving the ball down the field, converting on a ton of 3rd and 4th downs, keeping the Tech offense from any kind of big play. You could see the potential in the crowd when Loic dropped the dime from Donovan in the second half, the place was about to go nuts. Alas, the red raiders never really sustained any success long enough to really get things going.
  • I thought the defense started well, Baylor made some plays to extend drives, but they had to earn everything they got.
  • This is where the offense failed you, if Kittley and co were able to jump on Baylor early, they would have had to change their plans, but Tech never really made Baylor uncomfortable.
  • I really though Shapen sliding early was going to be the break Tech needed, it was great coverage, and a ridiculous decision on his part. I was feeling pretty good at this point.
  • Great play by Morton on the 3rd down scramble after Wilburn was completely owned.
  • Tech ran an RPO on 2nd and 4 after the scramble. Morton pulled it, right decision, looked left had both Cleveland open on a hitch, and White open on a slant, for some reason he clutched his throw, gave the Baylor defense time to react, and had to throw it away. I didn't know it then, but that tells the story of the game for Morton, for this first time, he looked to be thinking instead of reacting.
  • Tech does not convert on 4th down, Morton misses a wide open Martinez, and wastes an opportunity to really play the game on their terms.
  • Grimes (Baylor's OC) had zero respect for the Tech defense, and he was kind of rewarded for it. He knew their front would beat the Tech front, and it did... repeatedly, even on 3rd and medium to long.
  • Tech's defense tackled much better than against WVU
  • Man, Morton was seeing ghosts early, guys open, just didn't trust it.
  • Best play of this quarter was the early snap, probably because he didn't have time to think.
  • No idea what he was thinking on the first interception, everyone covered, live to see the next play.
2nd Quarter Observations

• Defense still playing well, this was Tech's chance. Score early, get the crowd going, make Baylor dig out of a hole. Couldn't do it.
  • Another second down RPO after getting a fourth down stop at midfield, Morton pulls it and is completely lost. I have not seen this from him at all.
  • Another squandered opportunity by the offense.
  • Defense get another stop, poor punt, another great chance for the offense to get this thing going.
  • Love the first play of this drive, get Morton moving, halve the field, 1st down strike to Price.
  • 3rd down in the red zone, great concept from Kittley, creates space in the middle of the field for Martinez who ran a dig. Wide open, Morton sails it over his head, have to settle for the FG.
  • 2nd quarter was the first time we saw the play that ended up being unstoppable for the Bears, a quick toss concept with a fold block and pull around. They didn't need another play and still might have scored 45.
  • After the first very concerning Baylor drive that ended in a TD and they were never made uncomfortable, the offense, instead of keeping pace, netted - 8 yards... even though Morton had a wide open X receiver that he never even looked at.
  • I am on record that officials are a species of mammals that are sub human, and that theory was proved right before half with one of the worst PI calls I've ever seen. Potentially game changing.
3rd Quarter Observations

• The first drive of the half was probably where the game was lost, you only had so many stops left in the defense, and you could NOT give the Baylor offense an extra possession. That Baylor DB knew what concept was coming, very unfortunate. With them playing that Drop 8 zone, Morton has to make the DB commit with his eyes.
  • The Baylor drive to make it 24-3 was more of the same from the end of the first half, Baylor was never behind the chains, made uncomfortable by the front 7, or challenged in the passing game. You knew they were going to have to make mistakes, the Tech defense had ran out of stops.
  • I love starting this drive off with three straight hand offs, despite the score, the running backs are the best players on the team... feed them.
  • For all of his mistakes this game, you see why the future is Morton, 3rd and 10 after nearly throwing another pick, he buys time and delivers a perfect pass for a first down to keep the drive going.
  • So we get to the first Donovan snap, love the situation and the play call here. I did not like leaving him in here, @W. McKay can attest to that. However, he throws a beautiful deep ball that shoulda been 6. In hindsight, that beautiful throw was a net negative because it meant he would be allowed to throw a critical interception later.
  • Love the under center play for the TD, bring everyone in to throw it.
  • Baylor finally makes a mistake and gives us the ball on a poorly run option play.
  • I love Kittley calling the same speed option play and getting a first down haha
  • Morton finds Cupp on this drive for a big gain, I need him targeted more, especially with the lack of juice from the outside receivers. He is a mismatch, use it!
  • I could not believe McGuire went for it on 4th and 7 from the 8, but he did and Morton made a great play to find the endzone. That felt like a game swinging play honestly, I would've lost a lot of money on the Red Raiders in that moment.
  • Unfortunately, the reality of the situation was quickly made apparent, the Tech defense was out of stops and could NEVER get Baylor off schedule. We needed a holding call or another dumb play to get a stop.
  • Another Don Draperism is appropriate here...
1667249830255.png

4th Quarter Observations

• I would love to see the alternate reality where the Tech D is able to get one more stop after cutting the lead to 7, but Baylor's front really started to show their advantage with this drive. It was not due to lack of fighting from the defense, they had just been on the field for too many plays.
  • Donovan as a short yardage guy is great. It was coaching malpractice to, one, keep him out there for a second play, and two, allow him to throw anything but a fade/seam or screen. That was asinine.
  • Pretty cool to see the defense respond, again, when being put in a bad situation. Rodriguez making another impactful play, but I wish we coulda saved that stop for after a score instead of a pick.
  • Cupp makes another big play on 3rd down, FEED HIM. I'm not unconvinced that he's not Tech's best receiver.
  • And for the final kick to the nads/"son'd" moment. Sparkman has a touchdown wrestled from his hands and the game is over. I think that's a touchdown, but it doesn't really matter. Leave no doubt because officials cannot be trusted and WILL make unbelievable calls if given the chance.
  • Game over, I walked home after this. I was very angry.
  • All I could think of was this on my way home...
1667314722345.png
I wanted things to be different, but they aren't.

Sitting in the stands I was thinking to myself, "man, this must be an Aranda defensive masterclass... sucks, but it happens." Well, now that I've watched it... it really wasn't. There was nothing new or different or innovative. He did not create a scheme to stop Kittley that other teams could emulate. Tech played horrifically, blame it on coaches, players, fans, whoever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Baylor was ready to play and the Red Raiders were not. I don't know if that should make you feel better or worse, I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or worse, but it doesn't change the result.

It's been kind of a roller coaster season, but we've ended up where 95% of people thought we would, between 5-7 and 7-5. Get to a bowl game, and I'm happy. I'm not going to think about this game ever again.

1667315173151.png

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.