Dallas
Notable Visitors

Mandeville (Louisiana) LB Johnathan Picone

Lafayette (Louisiana) Acadiana LB Kevin Moore

Destrehan (Louisiana) DT Gerald Wilbon

Crosby (Texas) 2017 WR Mannie Netherly

Spring (Texas) Dekany 2017 WR Aaron Cephus

Crosby (Texas) OC Keenan Murphy

Houston (Texas) Episcopal OL Gio Pancotti (COMMIT)

Houston (Texas) Cy Ranch LB Brayden Stringer (COMMIT)

Houston (Texas) Aldine Davis DE Keith Sullivan

Notable Performers

Spring (Texas) Klein Oak OT Ryan McCollum (OFFERED TODAY)

Spring (Texas) DT Bravvion Roy (OFFERED TODAY)

Spring (Texas) CB Ka’Darian Smith (OFFERED TODAY)

Ontario (Canada) Prep Football Academy OT Sage Doxtater

Spring (Texas) DT Jaylen Cooper

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek DE Isaiah Bean

Huffman (Texas) Hargrave OT Antione Frazier

-While there wasn’t as much skill position talent in attendance at the Spring camp on Wednesday afternoon as there has been at a few of the other camps, the talent on the offensive and defensive line, especially the offensive line. It was a nice change of pace to see some big boys get after each other on the lines.

-The Louisiana trio of Gerald Wilbon, Johnathan Picone, and Kevin Moore showed up at the camp for about the first hour – as they left to go visit Texas - interacting with the defensive staff. You could tell they were all three having a really good time, and they said as much to Matt and I. Matt will have video interviews with all three up later.

-Keith Sullivan is a physical specimen. It really blows my mind that the six-seven defensive end hasn’t begun to hear from more colleges yet.

-Tech’s only offer in the camp circuit so far had been 2017 WR Jalen Raegor, but they offered three at the Spring camp alone in Bravvion Roy, Ryan McCollum, and Ka’Darian Smith. Pretty nice that all three players are at need positions left in the class, too.

-The Red Raiders had a prospect from north of the border participate in the camp today: Canadian offensive lineman Sage Doxtater. I have no idea how they connected with him, but he’s a big kid at six-six that’s certainly intriguing.

-----

Spring (Texas) defensive tackle Bravvion Roy has had a busy start to things so far this summer. He’s been to a number of camps already, and he decided to work out for the Texas Tech coaching staff on Wednesday at his home field in Spring.

“It’s been good. I’ve been to a lot of workouts. SPE, LSU, now I’m here, and then I plan on going out to Missouri later this month. So things are going good.”

The DT has been keeping in touch with the coaching staff quite a bit, too.

“With Tech, I like Tech a lot. The coaching staff is real energetic, and our defensive end (Lonzell Gilmore) went there just last year, so It’d be a really good fit.”

Roy has been talking to Gilmore as the freshman transitions to life in Lubbock, and the DE gave the younger D-lineman the details on Mike Smith.

“He said he’s having fun. Workouts are good and stuff like that. He says Coach Smith is the best, one of the realest coaches you will ever meet.”

Roy really likes the Red Raiders assistant’s personality and experience with the NFL.

“The D-line coach, he’s amazing. He’s been in the NFL for years and stuff like that. I mean, he has a lot of energy.”

Roy didn’t hold an offer from Tech coming into the camp, however. So, the Spring native decided to show off his skills for the coaching staff in hopes of picking one up.

“They wanted me to come out here to do individual drills so they could evaluate me more. I know he’s going to put me to work, and that’s what I want.”

Roy’s performance was exactly what Tech wanted to see, so he offer he was hoping for came his way later on in the afternoon. With that, Kliff Kingsbury and his program have vaulted their way into the DT’s top group of schools.

““They said that they know I could do what I did, and they like what I did,” he said “With the offer, Texas Tech automatically went up to one of my top schools now. I will really be deciding out of them, Missouri, Baylor, and LSU now.”

So, what does Roy specifically like about Tech?

“They were talking to me, and it’s just a family thing. I know they’re going to have my back.”

As for a decision, Roy is hoping to announce his commitment on July 21st, his mother’s birthday.

-----

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek Defensive end Isaiah Bean is an interesting prospect. He’s been playing quarterback and receiver at Summer Creek the last few years, but he’s recently been playing some defensive end, which the Red Raiders are interested in.

“I’ve been talking to them a little bit, not a whole lot. I’ve been talking to Coach Kingsbury and a few other coaches,” he said. “They’re mainly looking at me as an athlete because of my size, but they said they liked me at defensive end and would like to get more defensive film, cause with how things were this year, we didn’t play much defense. But, they’re looking at me as an end.”

Being that he plays at Summer Creek, Bean knows Tech linebacker Dakota Allen very well. The two have spent some time talking about the Red Raiders.

“My friend Dakota Allen was telling me how their program works, and I’m kind of liking their defense based off how he’s described it to me.”

He’s also been speaking with a few other schools so far in the recruiting process.

“I’ve been talking to a couple of schools. TCU, Texas A&M, Baylor, and a few others like that. Just trying to keep my grades done and get some more size on me.”

Bean is clearly an athlete, but I wonder if he would better be suited as a defensive end or outside linebacker at the next level. He’s almost six four and can move, so we’ll keep tabs on him moving forward.

-----

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.