ADVERTISEMENT

SPORTS CAR RACING/ LUBBOCK

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
I am almost 77 so I go way way back with my Dad in Sports Car racing. Mostly at Fr Summter, Midland at Rattlesnake, Midland Airport, East side of Lubbock airport, etc.

There was a sports car dealer in Lubbock, His show room and garage was on the east side of Downtown and about 1.5 miles on major street south of Downtown.

The Person who owned it was 33 year old popular driver, Dave Fawcett.

In the new book on Jim Halls life he mentions something I sure did not know. Jim is about to die and all the old driver are going to Midland in about 3 weeks to honor him. He was a pilot of a P 51 as well.

I was at the track when Dave was killed. He was in a open wheel Bandini and it spun and he was T boned and died.

That sort of took the wind out of Lubbock activity.

Here is what I did not know, Dave Fawcett was Part owner of the Rattlesnake race trace with Jim Hall and Hap Sharp. My good friend , Gary Evans landed a sailplane on that track and Jim Hall gave him a fast ride around the track.

I bought several of these books and just gave one to local doctor who still races at 81 ! He said this was the best book he had seen and thanked me. I know the person, Jay Miller who took most of the pictures.
I will give one this week to a famous lawyer who is from west Texas and went to Harvard, Carter Burdennet. Carter was a racer and raced with David Jones. David Jones who was President of the SCCA for over 25 years and became a famous lawyer.

Also one of the top 10 all around driver of the Modern Era , Brian Redman said his years with Hall were the most fun. He also drover for Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc. Won world Champ with all those teams.

Carol Shelby spent many hours at a home 2.4 miles from me, Alan Connell and he was famous racer as well winning a Nat. Champ along the way.
To this very day , Ft Worth doctor Val Scroggie is honored with award with his name on it , for the one that had done the most for car racing that year. I will give a book to Dr Bill Scorggie this coming week.

More happened in Ft Worth than any place I know of except Southern Cal. Shelby started here , his first shop was in Mansfield. I give one hour talks on this with big slides on the Wall to tell the impressive story. Hub city

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News