Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2005
Tech senior associate athletic director Steve Uryasz resigns

Uryasz attributes move to restructuring
Posted: March 6, 2015 - 7:17pm

By Don Williams
A-J MEDIA

Steve Uryasz, a member of Texas Tech's athletic department senior staff and a 17-year employee of the university, said Friday he has resigned, attributing the move to restructuring within the department.

The 51-year-old Uryasz came to Tech in 1997 as associate athletic director for student services. He took over leadership of the Red Raider Club in 2000, a position that is a chief fundraiser. Since November 2011, he was senior associate athletics director/development and external operations.

Uryasz said he resigned Monday.

"We sat down and took a look at the structure of the athletic department," Uryasz said. "(Athletic director) Kirby (Hocutt) wanted to restructure a number of different areas. At that point, I decided it was in my best interests to resign, but he has been great to me and very fair to me."

Uryasz spent a combined 12 years at Nebraska and Oklahoma State before coming to Tech. During the last decade, he was part of an expansion of Jones AT&T Stadium that included the addition - and sellout - of 85 luxury boxes.

He emphasized that he loved Tech and was treated fairly.
"We had talked for a while about looking at different options and different things within the department," he said. "I wouldn't necessarily say it was a surprise.
"I didn't necessarily see it coming, but in our business you really have to adapt. I've had a great experience here, and I'm really looking forward to the next one. I love Texas Tech and have loved my time here."

Hocutt offered a two-sentence statement through athletic department spokesman Blayne Beal.

"I would like to thank Steve for his 17 years of service to Texas Tech," Hocutt said. "We wish him nothing but the best in the future."

Uryasz said he's not sure of his next career move, but said he and his wife are looking at several possibilities.

Uryasz said he didn't have a problem with Hocutt.

"In our business, when you're restructuring things, you have to determine what's in the best interest of the athletic department," he said. "That's the athletic director's job, and I respect that, because that's a very, very difficult job."

don.williams@lubbockonline.com
This post was edited on 3/6 6:48 PM by Matador96

This post was edited on 3/6 7:20 PM by Matador96

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.