ADVERTISEMENT

***RRS Barrel Club round 2 Update... Brandon Carter and Hog Molly***

martaylo

Techsan
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2012
***Hog Molly Update*** June 8.

Thanks to some connections in our group, we have been able to get former offensive lineman and Texas Tech legend Brandon Carter on board with this pick. We're naming it Hog Molly and will be using an image of him on the label. With a little bit of luck and if schedules line up, he may be willing and able to attend the pickup party tailgate for a bit of a meet and greet... but nothing confirmed yet.

I'm just going to leave this next part at the bottom of every update. I have a handful of people who I've emailed and ahven't heard back from and I believe there may be some DFW folks we haven't been able to get in touch with either. SO...

If you paid for round 1 but have not received your bottle (or don't have plans to) please email me at rrsbarrelclub@gmail.com so we can get it sorted out.

Original Post on June 1.

On to more exciting things. Met with the Whistle Pig rep Friday and we made a selection. The rep said they officially quote everyone 10-12 weeks for arrival, but they're running closer to 8-10 weeks currently. That means we should have it here before conference play barring catastrophe (like last time). The tentative plan is to pick a home game to bring the bottles to and have a pickup party Friday evening somewhere like 2-Docs and then have them available at a tailgate Saturday. We will likely need some mules to get bottles back to DFW, Austin, Houston, etc. Details will be sorted out once we have confirmation that it's shipped.

As for the whiskey itself, we got one barrel (WP sets their barrel picks at 156 bottles per barrel no matter what, so that's all we got) of their 6 year Rye. I'll do my best independent internet whiskey enthusiast and pretend instagram influencer review impression for those interested in what it tastes like...

It's the highest proof of all the samples coming in at 115.1, but that may change some by the time it's bottled. It was also the one that drank the least hot out of all the samples, so interesting enough proof for whiskey nerds but very drinkable for people wanting a more mellow pour. On the nose it's pretty sweet and almost smells like flan, but there's rye spice, too. The taste is pretty much the same as the smell. Caramel, vanilla, that minty/grassy rye spice. It's very oakey and a little dry, but in a good way. Everyone at the tasting thought that it drank a lot like a bourbon, so it should be pleasing to Rye and Bourbon lovers alike. It's a pretty easy drinking whiskey with a lot of flavor but it's also clearly unique. I like it a lot.

Compared to the Wilderness Trail rye... this new one has that vanilla and oak that the WT does not. It tastes a little more like a typical bourbon where the WT is very straight forward rye. The WT is 102 proof, but may drink just a bit hotter than the Whistle Pig at 115. This WP is just very drinkable.

Pricing is going to be similar to the last one. Planning to have it set at cost +$50 where the $50 goes to TMC, and that'll have us around $110-115 I think. Once we get the PO confirmed and can verify price, we'll get it set up for pre-orders. I'm going to require addresses, phone numbers and emails to confirm an order.

As far as donations go, we're still sitting on the $ from the last pick. We have some bottles left that we will likely make available when we distribute the new ones, but we have raised right at $11,000 so far and the sales of the rest of our bottles will get us around $17,000-18,000. This pick should bring in about $7,800. So $25,000 total. If we can manage to make a distillery pick happen we will likely hold on to the $ until that's done and give in one big gift, but if it's looking like that won't be an option we will start donating to TMC. Either way, that plan should be set by the time this new pick arrives and I'll share it when we know.

Last thing, anyone have ideas on a name for the pick? I was thinking something to do with the OL, just seems to fit with Wistle Pig, but I don't have any great ideas yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News