ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Impressions - How do you form yours?

ttrraider

🌵🌵🌵
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2002
I'm just curious how people form their opinions on recruiting. Do you focus exclusively on the Rivals ratings? Do you look at all the rating platforms? How closely do you look at the film? What about measurables including the ones JB provides? How much benefit of the doubt do you give to recruiters that have been successful at finding talent?

Here are the recruits in McGuire's first two full recruiting class that rated 5.5 or below.

Miguel Dingle 5.4
John Curry 5.5
TreDarius Brown 5.5
Marcus Ramon-Edwards 5.5

Cameron Dickey 5.5
Lorenzo Johnson 5.5
Isaiah Collins 5.5

Very early in their careers, several of these guys are already demonstrating that they were significantly underrated (Curry and Dickey in particular). Brown washed out but I don't know if it was his talent or other issues. Overall. I look at these lower-rated athletes and I think JB and team are really good at what they do. I trust their evaluations to the point that my first thought isn't that this low 3 star is a reach, rather its wanting to explore the inevitable traits that our staff sees that suggest potential higher than a low 3 star. As fans, do we fall in love with the 5.8 athlete like Strickland and then think we had to settle for a 5.5 Lindsey or Griffin? How about the 5.5 rated Jhase Thomas, who showed well in a LSU camp (4.4 forty) and was offered by them. I'm more concerned that we are getting the guys the staff prioritizes rather than looking for validation through the Rivals ratings. They help but if we end up at 35 in class ratings, I feel confident that the potential of the class is significantly higher than that. I would feel the same about the upside if we're 23 in the rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News