ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Ramirez Rundown: Optimism in the air for Tech football pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
The first week of spring football practice has come and gone and the atmosphere surrounding the Texas Tech squad has been electric. After the success the Red Raiders saw in year one under the direction of Joey McGuire, the optimism surrounding the team has grown exponentially. Let’s rundown my observations from the opening week.

CJ Baskerville is a lot bigger than I originally had known and this should get the people excited for what he could be out at the STAR position. Baskerville might not have the same frame as Marquis Waters in terms of muscular build, but what the San Diego State transfer does bring is length. Baskerville’s wingspan looks to par and he could be dangerous.

Speaking of the STAR position, something that caught my attention was the overwhelming outpour of praise and support for incoming freshman Brenden Jordan. Both McGuire and defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter sung their praise for Jordan’s knack at picking up the system at this age. They anticipate seeing Jordan at the STAR behind Baskerville and with how young the secondary is behind the starting group, Jordan could get significant snaps in the fall.

The defensive line continues to be a point of emphasis currently, with Tony Bradford out for the time being after having surgery. Players such as Dooda Banks and Trevon McAlpine are two that I saw getting after it in practice. The former mentioned, Banks, seems to be a guy the staff is banking on being the heir to the thrones of Bradford and Jaylon Hutchings. Time will tell on the sophomore.

Enough about the defensive side, let’s flip the script to Zach Kittley’s guys.
From Saturday’s session, this is what we believe is the preliminary starting group:
OL: Mills-Spencer-Staats-Wilburn-Rogers
QB: Tyler Shough RB: Tahj Brooks TE: Mason Tharp WR: Jerand Bradley, Myles Price, Coy Eakin

Not to be left out however, Drae McCray looks like he could be a lightning bolt on the field. For his speed to be compared to the speed king Jakeem Grant, McCray’s step must be the real deal.
Jerand Bradley looks to be ready for a breakout season after showing flashes in 2022. The more I see Bradley the more I am impressed at the tools he has as far as the measurables go. Still has the 6-foot-5 frame, but he looks a lot more built in the spring. Think of maybe a thicker TJ Vasher with Bradley.

We’ll continue to be at spring practices and we’ll be sure to be on top of the happenings with the Red Raiders in 2023.

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.

Sideline Provisions

unnamed.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News