ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Ramirez: Costly decisions the demise for Tech against TCU pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Well. What do I say now? It’s really hard to come up with the right set of words to summarize what a disappointment this game was. Your season was banking on this game. As much as I hate the term “must-win game”, this one absolutely was and it’s a shame it didn’t swing the way of the red and black. Let me do my best to account for my thoughts.

All things considered, Tech played a pretty fair game. The guys played hard and they took whatever haymaker was thrown their way and responded with one of their own. With as many complaints I have read about Adams’ lack of calling timeouts, for once, his conservative attitude with stoppages could have paid off. Four seconds left. Plenty of time to make it from one end to the floor with the right play drawn up. I understand the play they ran may be something they’ve worked on before, but I’m on the side that if you have a timeout, it’s better to use it than not.

I think the madness that was the end of the game is going to overshadow the Red Raiders’ inability to put an entry pass into the post. Several times, hell I’d even venture to say most of the time, whoever was playing down low had the TCU defender pinned on his shoulder. That should be an easy lob pass for a layup every time. Instead however, we saw several passes overthrown out of bounds, mishandled or not even attempted in the first place.

TCU not having Eddie Lampkin was a huge opportunity for Daws and even Kevin Obanor to feast. Aimaq finished with 19, with nine of those coming from the line. Obanor had 17, with nine of those being either from the three or from the stripe. I can only imagine how the game would have gone had the team been more eager to feed the bigs early.

Mike Miles was simply untouchable today, both in terms of getting calls to swing his way and simply being unguardable. The play that defined his performance the most was his layup at the end of the half and he ran off the floor all the way to the locker room doing the “too small” after scoring on Robert Jennings. The antics of TCU were apparent the entire game and there were too many offensive possessions that the Horned Frogs were able to bully their way to baskets. At the end of the day, if you’re going to question effort, question the effort defensively. This team doesn’t have a clear No. 1 defender and for a program that has been so heavily predicated on toughness on the defensive end, it’s sickening.

Good luck in Lawrence. You’ll probably need it.

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.

Sideline Provisions

unnamed.jpg

Toggle signature

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News