ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Pre-Georgetown Hoops Stuff (pres. by Fields of Gold)

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Dec 30, 2015
Random notes:

Daniel Batcho has been statistically dominant through six games. He's #5 in the Big 12 in points per possession and is drawing fouls and shooting fouls at a higher rate than anyone in the conference (and then makes FTs at a 75% clip).

What's interesting is how inefficient he's been with his back to the basket in post-up situations. All damage has come on putbacks, cuts to the basket, spot up possessions (he really can put the ball on the floor), and rim-running transition stuff. I have a feeling his post-up numbers will turn around and we have one of the best scoring big guys in the conference on our hands.

On the defensive end, Batcho's block % is third in the conference and 48th in the country. He also has the 4th best defensive rebounding % in the conference.

Batcho is for real. Really hope he can stay healthy because he's so freakin' active that injuries are going to happen.

As a team, Tech's scored 1 point per catch-and-shoot jumper. That's damn good (top 25 % in the country) -- a massive improvement from last year (bottom 33% in the country). The problem is that we aren't generating enough of them. Obanor, Tyson, Pop and even Harmon... we have to figure out a way to get these guys more open looks to catch and shoot the ball. They will knock them down.

We attempted just 3 "unguarded" shots against Ohio State. That number needs to be around double digits for this team to reach its peak.

Improved team-wide shooting aside, Kevin Obanor has attempted 19 jump shots and scored just 15 points. That's bad. Still waiting for him to turn it on.

On the defensive end, we're allowing more open jump shots than last year's team. It's not by a ton, but a noticeable difference. Ohio State and Creighton combined to shoot 28 open catch-and-shoot jumpers against us. We attempted just 9 of our own. It's really hard to win games when you're trading open 3 on their end for contested 3 on our end.

Another big difference from last year's defense is how much easier it's been to score around the rim against us. Last year's defense was top 5% in the country defending the rim, this year's team is top 35%. And that's with a much better shot blocker (Batcho) patrolling the paint. Our issues have been just lapses or breakdowns and easy offensive putbacks.

Georgetown stuff:

I can't imagine the last week or so of practice has been particularly fun, considering our showing in Maui -- particularly on defense. Baylor just got mauled by Marquette, allowing over 1.4 points per possession in the process. In a way, I'm glad we aren't catching a better Big East team than Georgetown because we need a bit of a confidence booster. And that's what Patrick Ewing's team is... or should be.

Georgetown reminds me of Louisville in that they have a solid lead guard (Primo Spears) with a lot of big dudes around him, many of them highly thought of players at one time or another. But they just aren't that good.

We desperately need a win. I will be transitioning to DEFCON 5 if we somehow can't get this done.

B96510FE-7CA5-493C-8617-803444CAD497.png

Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation.

The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma.

https://shop.summerlandwinebrands.com/Shop/Fields-of-Gold

@Saynotobarefoot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News