ADVERTISEMENT

Pastor B's 7 Keys to Staying Sane While Watching the NC State Game.

Brandon Bohannon

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2007
Fort Worth
@4O9to8O6Nback has become the go-to-must-read on the board. @dedfischer 's Post Mortems were always the best and @W. McKay gave some really good write ups, but @4O9 brings stats, math and percentages which are a whole lot of fun and interesting to think about.

So, I knew that RRS was over confident last week but sat back and just enjoyed the positivity for the first time in a long time. I predicted a 14 point win but I did specifically say that Donovan would turn it over twice (ended up with 3 but could have been more with the blindside hits that he took), that our defense would get two turnovers (could have been at least 3 more, but we dropped them), and in the end we would win because our Jimmys and Joes would be better than theirs (Donovan on 4th and 20 and then again in the 2nd OT). That game played out a lot like how I thought that it would.

Unfortunately, and I don't know what odds @4O9 gives us, but I only give us about a 10% chance of winning this game. Because of that, my expectations for this game are adjusted to wanting to see a few things accomplished even if they come in a loss.

So here are 7 Keys to Staying Sane While Watching the NC State Game.

#1. I would like to see us beat the spread in a true road game against a P5 team and in front of a sold out capacity crowd.
#2. I would like to get out of it without any major injuries.
#3. I would like to see Donovan Smith protect the ball a little better with some quicker decisions and reads but I also recognize that he has only started 5 or 6 games for us and his senior year of high school at the most difficult position to play in all of team sports.
#4. For #3 to happen, the OL has to correct several Game 2 issues, including LT Caleb Rogers (my adopted player and avatar) has to protect Donovan's back better. Skill players look good when the OL is good.
#5. Loic, Jerand, the TEs have to toughen up this week. Last week they looked BFN a lot (Big For Nothing). Running free against Murray State is partially why they and a lot of you went from happy and over confident back to board sassy and overwhelmed in one week. While Donovan sometimes floats and even under throws some balls, these big skills guys need to fight for the ball. They played sawft this last weekend. The whole offense was sawft. Fortunately for us, Donovan is a big, strong athlete that has time to learn how to be a big, strong QB.
#6. Just want to say that I am pretty impressed with SaRodorick as a receiver and with Tahj's tough running and 4 rushing TDs. The RB room is solid.
#7. Our defense needs to generate pass rush and 2-3 turnovers for us to even stay in the game this week. NC State is not the most talented team offensively. BUT, they are talented enough to hurt us if we don't get pressure on their QB.

I honestly can see this game looking an awful lot like last year's Oklahoma State game. I hope not but that is my base as I prepare for watching. Depending on how we handle your keys along with mine will determine our outcome.

For now, I see NC State 31 Texas Tech 17

If you feel frustrated this week (or any week for that matter) and you find that you must post in the game thread, take a deep breath, and then, don't post. Do that Saturday household task, chore, or job that you have been putting off. Go take a jog or walk. Play with your kids or grandkids. Be thankful that we have Joey McGuire and that he is and will fix this.

Be blessed Red Raiders! There are some great days and Red Raider accomplishments ahead!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.