ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why this Spurs fan thinks that Luka Doncic deserves his 1st MVP award...

Brandon Bohannon

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2007
Fort Worth
Let's make something abundantly clear: The San Antonio Spurs are a better NBA franchise and organization then the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs have pretty much always been the 3rd out of 3 Texas NBA teams with very few seasons or hardware to argue differently.

While this is true, Dirk Nowitzki is one of the very best to have ever played the game and the Mavs found gold again when they landed Luka Doncic.

Luka is a very special player. Top 5 in the game? Yes. At 25 years of age and in his first 5 NBA seasons, he has already been named All-NBA 1st Team, 4 consecutive times. He'll get it again this year.

Deserving of MVP over 2x (2021, 2022) winner Nikola Jokic, 2x (2019, 2020) winner Giannis Antetokounmpo, and rising contender Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? I think so, and here's why:

With 8 regular season games to play, and 6.5 games behind Denver, 2.0 games behind Milwaukee, and 7.0 games behind Oklahoma City, Luka is 1st in the NBA in Points Per Game, 15th in Rebounds Per Game, 2nd in Assists Per Game, 2nd in Three Pointers Made, 1st in Usage Percentage, had a league leading 73-point scoring game, and while he trails only the 3 other main candidates in player efficiency, the other 3 have better teams and surrounding casts than does Luka. Luka is carrying a "worse" team.

I don't think that this Mavs team can or will win the 2024 NBA Finals but there is no doubt that Luka makes whatever that chance is what it is. He is the best among the great for this season and at 25, we have to believe that he has more time to be and get even better.

If the media is paying attention at all, Luka is the MVP.

My little slice of peace is that Victor Wembanyama will be Rookie of the Year and my Spurs now has their next piece to build around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News