ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shout-out for some nice folks in Lubbock

teedawg83

🌵
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
Lubbock
Just wanted to give a quick shout-out to a local business that has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping out a deserving young woman (the granddaughter of one of my former teaching colleagues).

Staff/mods, if you think this is not appropriate, please delete.

The business is King's Tire Warehouse, located at Avenue Q and Clovis Highway.

This young lady graduated a couple of weeks ago from Frenship High School, with honors (NHS member and several academic awards). Two days before graduation, her stepfather died in a sudden accident (choked to death on a corndog, of all things.) Her birth father and mother are fairly worthless (father is in jail, mother on drugs), so the fact that she graduated is a miracle in and of itself. Her father has been cheating Uncle Sam, has not filed an income tax return in 10 years, so this girl couldn't even apply easily for college financial aid thanks to her father's crappy behavior.

Anyway, she has enlisted in and been sworn into the US Air Force, but they will not be able to have her report for basic training until October. This girl will have to work and support herself until then -- she's worked 30 hours a week since she was 16 to help out her deadbeat parents, so she's used to it.

She needed (badly) some new tires for her car, and I happened to be telling her story to someone who does business with King's. She talked to the owner/manager, Victor Baeza, who offered to give her the tires for free. This morning, he made good on his offer, even though I and several others offered to pay for the tires.

Great gesture of support, and so there it is: shout-out of thanks to King's Tire Warehouse. It gives you a little faith in humanity to see folks doing something like this for a stranger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.