Pat Benatar
Dolly Parton
Duran Duran
Lionel Richie
Carly Simon

Then non-performing Musical Excellence:
Judas Priest (nonperforming, really??)
Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis

Everyone will be talking about Dolly Parton. IMO it's awkward because everyone loves her and she is greatness, but she's never sung a rock song in her life. I imagine she changed her mind and decided to accept because they told her she was going to get inducted either way. They already refused to take her off the ballot which I thought was pretty shitty since she requested it.

Eminem is awesome. Again, not really rock but since the Rock Hall is really just the Pop Music Hall he's as worthy as anyone.
Eurythmics were awesome, truly groundbreaking, and "Missionary Man" is still one of the best videos ever.
Pat Benatar was trendsetting for a time. Every girl in "Fast TImes at Ridgemont High" dressed like her.
Duran Duran, not my cup of tea but they definitely were influential in their time.
Lionel Richie, not rock but I can see how he's influenced a lot of artists.
Carly Simon: I'm at a complete loss. I liked a couple of songs but IMO she was neither influential or groundbreaking. Female coffee house singers were a dime a dozen in her day I'd feel differently if she sang hard rock or something that wasn't as common for women.

And one other odd induction: Judas Priest in the "Musical Excellence" category for non-performers who exhibited creativity and influence. They lost me at non-performers and that almost seems like an insult since they were performers above all else. And they were a pre-cursor to all the hair metal that happened later.

Interested in hearing other people' opinions of this. It's odd how the biggest superstar induction this year, Dolly, isn't even close to being rock.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.