ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lubbock Info

ttu2061

Techsan
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
I wasn't actively trying to get back to Lubbock, but the West Texas territory has just come available in my company and I should know either today or tomorrow whether I will be offered the promotion to take over. It has been a whirlwind the last couple of days but, need to get focused on what I need to do in case this happens (pretty good chance).

I'm 34, married with a 2 1/2 yo daughter and would be moving from Houston. We would be based out of Lubbock and the territory would pretty much be everything in Texas west of Abilene (excluding El Paso). I will most likely need to be there April 1, with my wife probably staying behind to finish the school year and get the house sold.

My wife wants to buy a house immediately, but I am undecided and may lean toward renting for a while to figure things out (the thought of multiple moves makes me want to buy though). This could be 2-4 years or forever, depending on how we like it and the possibility of other, larger territories coming available. Thoughts?

From talking to friends still in the area I think we would like to find a place towards the south end of town, in the Cooper school area. But wanted to get some other input on different areas that we may want to look. Calling a realtor today to talk about our current home so budget may vary, but we'd probably be looking at high $200's-$350ish (lower end would make me more comfortable obviously). The catch is, that I am an independent contractor (contracted to my boss currently, but would be contracted to the actual company with the promotion), so this will probably be seen as a job change.

Probably a question for Mitzel, but is it even possible to get financing on a new home these days without a longer earnings history at one company? We should have a large down payment based on what I think our home will sell for. If not, are there some nice places to rent for a while that aren't college houses?

Recs for a realtor would be appreciated.

Also, according to google, the cost of living is about 16% less in Lubbock than Houston. This move would come with a fairly considerable dollar for dollar bump, but want to be able to factor the COL into my decision. Anyone with experience with this care to share what you think?

Finally, since my current position may be open soon. Anyone that is fairly established in the work force (no new grads) with Sales experience that may be interested in a change, please email me at ianlandin at hotmail dot com. Someone in the Houston area likely preferred, but doesn't matter if you are willing to relocate.

This is a full-time, commission based, contractor position with a large furniture company. Selling wholesale to the retail dealers. Boss couldn't be better or more respected within the company/industry. He helped me be in this position to take on my own territory in under 2 years after coming to the industry from construction.

Sorry so long, thanks for any input.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News