ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kids these days UPDATED: 4/16/15

CORedRaider

Matador
Aug 29, 2014
I apologize for the dark subject in advance.

My daughter is graduating HS next month. Over the course of her 4 years there, she has had 5 fellow students take their own lives. Today, she is attending the funeral of the fifth. During her freshman year, she and her boyfriend broke up. He took his own life(for several different reasons) and sent her text and voice mails right before he did it. After a year of intense therapy, she recovered and is currently doing well.

The funeral today is for a kid who, by all accounts, was just a great kid. Straight-A student, started as a sophomore on both the football and lacrosse teams, and was liked by the majority of his peers. My daughter's late boyfriend was the same type of kids although we found out later he had some major issues underneath the surface.

My question(and I suppose I could google this) is....are teen suicide rates up everywhere or is this just an anomaly here in Parker, CO. We were counseled 4 years ago that kids are under much different pressures than we were when we grew up and they live in a very "take action now" society. Today brings up some really bad memories for me and my wife. We almost lost our daughter the same way after she lost her boyfriend. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around why kids do this with so much brightness ahead of them.

Please pray for the family, friends, and classmates of this young man.

UPDATE:

Guys, need some prayers here. My daughter lost another friend to suicide last night. Just found out about it a few hours ago and she is really shaken up about this one. This kid was a very good young man as well. He graduated from her HS last May and she and him were really good friends. He was a troubled young man but we thought he'd turned the corner. This is an absolute heartbreaker and my daughter is devastated. Prayers to C.M. and his family.

This post was edited on 4/16 4:35 PM by CORedRaider

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.