ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Attorney Needed After an Auto Accident?

raiderfan77

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 16, 2004
Texas
Looking for advice after an auto accident. My father (73 years old) was hit from behind a few weeks ago. He was stopped at an intersection preparing to make a right turn when a pickup truck rear ended him. It happened at low speed and both vehicles are drivable. They pulled into a parking lot and exchanged insurance information. Police were not called.

Because of my dad’s age and previous medical/injury history, I told him to make an appointment with his doctor and get “checked out.” He was in a serious auto accident about 35 years ago that almost killed him. Obviously he survived but he ended up having very serious injuries including a broken neck, broken back, loss the use of his left arm, etcetera. He wasn’t supposed to walk again but after multiple surgeries including rods implanted in his back he is able to walk. The doctor’s office took x-rays and looked him over. Didn’t show anything on the x-rays but my dad has had neck pain and less mobility. Doctor prescribed muscle relaxers. My dad still has soreness and less mobility three weeks later. My dad isn’t the type to complain, he’s lived with pain for the last 35 years. He has a pain management doctor and until recently went 13 years without having to visit him and reassess his medication.

I’m helping my dad through this process because he doesn’t know what to do and honestly, I don’t either. I had my dad contact his insurance company and they said it wasn’t necessary to get them involved since he wasn’t at fault. The other driver was in a company truck. An employee of that company contacted my dad and said the point of contact was their insurance company. After not hearing from them, I called the insurance company and was told that there was a claim number and given the name and contact information of the adjuster. I called a few times and left voicemail but haven’t been contacted back. Has been a little over three weeks since accident and a week since trying to reach the adjuster.

The thought was to get this settled and have my dad’s car repaired and medical bills paid. Again, I have no clue what I’m doing and this may be the absolute wrong way to handle it. My dad is still in pain and is less mobile following the accident. Should we reach out to an attorney? If yes, any recommendations in Lubbock. I mentioned seeking help from an attorney to my dad and he asked me, “why?” I just answered, “I don’t know what we are supposed to do?”

Any advice from those who know is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: jbryanford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News