ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Numbers of Note: Baylor pres. by Js Salsa

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Going to do this similarly to how I did it last week, some data, some tape. This Baylor team is a bit different than what we saw last year, and hopefully that bodes well for the Red Raiders.

First, here’s the chart I’ll be referencing quite a bit.

First, on Tech. Joey mentioned it on Monday, but they’re running the ball really well and it is definitely because of the boxes they are running it into. Fifth in EPA/Rush while holding a -7.4% RROE, basically saying that they run it 7.4% less than the average team facing the same downs & distances.

Tech’s struggling on early downs but still has quality offensive possessions 48.3% of the time. Your 3rd down success is really helping and the Baylor defense has been pretty bad, if not awful, this season, so I’m expecting a big day from Tech.

The Baylor offense should be able to test the Red Raider group who has bottled up the run all season. I am curious if the Bears will run Richard Reece, the back who torched Tech for 100+ a year ago, more than what they have this season, seemingly rediscovering him against UCF.

The Bears also look different with Blake Shapen back, threw the ball really well in the second half of the comeback over the Knights, and they obviously have some skill on the outside, so it should be a fun one.

Now, some tape. First on a big run from UCF that looks a lot like what the Red Raiders do with the blocking scheme. Two pullers and the UCF back gains the edge really well, down field blocking was there too.

Baylor’s offense struggled to hit against press man all day on the outside, if you try to do that you’ll need a big day from your corners.

On the other hand, where you might get beat is over the middle where you’ve struggled to cover a bit in the past few weeks and Monaray Baldwin had a field day last week right there. Big weekend to get Jesiah Pierre back to help out the young inside linebackers.

The Red Raiders are going to have a chance to get to even ground after a really rocky start, which already (and somehow) marks the halfway point of the season. Big one that can set you up for a potential bowl game in December.

cvkqsas99yezrr0t7ckm

J’s Salsa is owned and operated by a Texas Tech Grad and ready to be your next tailgate staple this season! Packed with fresh ingredients and bold flavors, both the original and hot salsa will leave you begging for the next bite!

Look for our red and black jars on shelves at most United Supermarkets, Market Streets and Albertsons Markets in Texas and New Mexico. Also available at H-E-B in Lubbock and Plano!

J’s Salsa Company is a red raider owned family business. Visit our website at
www.jsalsacompany.com to learn more or ship anywhere in the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News