ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: McCasland Notebook: Post-Practice thoughts & observations pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Likely one of the only basketball availabilities before the season, we spoke with McCasland & some players after their first official practice.

McCasland echoed that this team needs to get more physical, along with some players.

"We do have a connected group. We don't have a lot of experience in the Big 12. But we do have college basketball experience on our roster. It's going to be how quickly can we adapt to the physicality as a group that seems like this teams really is going to have to. We've got good speed, good skill. I like the way our guys can move. It's just there's such a physical nature to winning in the big 12 That's what we're really going to have to work towards getting better at."

On somewhat small roster and depth with the bigs:

"Yeah, no, I'm excited. In this league, when you get to the end of the games usually end up seeing a lot of smaller basketball, you know, people trying to perimeter defend on the perimeter and the switch ability. If you can team rebound you can mitigate some of that lack of size and so I think we got to be prepared to win a lot of different ways. I love our roster. I mean, I think there's enough depth at that spot that we can we can play through the season and feel like we can be strong at the end of the year."

On Pop Isaacs and how he wants him to improve from FR to SPH:

"The biggest thing is decision making and making the right play. Pop is competitive, he's tough and he wants to win. And as you know, winning sometimes is like how to utilize your teammates best. That's where I want him to continue to grow where he's got a great recognition of all other four guys on the floor and what we need to do as a team to win. He's done a great job in the offseason with the weight room. I mean, I do think he's more he's got a more physical approach to how he's playing the game."

On most improved player in camp:

"Lamar Washington's really made a big jump. He continues to get better. You know, he's a guy that's that's been a part of this program and decided to stay. He's got some versatility. He's got some physicality, he can make great decisions. He's been he's been fantastic."

On Kye'ron Lindsay:

"Yeah, Kye, having already played in the SEC, having been from the Dallas Fort Worth area, I was around him, being close to him seeing him play, his physical abilities are exceptional. The biggest part for us is like how do you learn what we want to do in order for us to win. His maturing and understanding how you win the game as as a team is going to be what really impacts his ability to play in games, but I love his physicality."

On roster building strategy:

"The conscious effort was to find guys that we felt like wanted to win and had experience winning. All the transfers played in the NCAA tournament last year. When we recruited Warren, he helped domino some of the other guys. Darrion knew Pop from his time in Vegas."

On Tech's pre-season scrimmages and Texas A&M exhibition:

"Yeah, that was obviously done intentional. We have scrimmages. We can't talk about when those are and who we play until afterwards. We will have one prior to that against an opponent, but that game had to happen to me for a couple of reasons. One, I love being in the Metroplex and having our Red Raider fans be able to get it get a glimpse of the team early. Two, they're an NCAA tournament team. They obviously had those kind of expectations with their team this year. And I think it'll just give us a great test so that we know where we need to improve."

iuq1py9k5ql2xu0jrrfa

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.