ADVERTISEMENT

Letter to the Sportswriter

JHAYRAI

Rookie Red Raider
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
I want share an email I just wrote. I encourage others to do the same. It’s the only way to get their attention.

To: ccarlton@dallasnews.com
Cc: gleavell@dallasnews.com
Subject: KU vs. Tech

Chuck-
Let me preface this by saying I enjoy and admire your work covering the Big 12. That is why I was so looking forward to your coverage of what was billed as the “ game of the year “ in Lubbock. Instead, to my dismay and disappointment, you were assigned a game in Ft. Worth between two middle of the road teams.

I suspect this decision was a budgetary one, and if a game of this magnitude were played in Austin, Waco, Ft. Worth or say College Station you would have been all over it. The DMN continually underestimates the appeal that Tech has in the Metroplex. We are a large rabid fandom and we ( finally! ) have a basketball program we can get behind led by feel good story coach and a star player from of all places Richardson! Yet most of the coverage I read in The DMN is wire service from the Lubbock Avalanche Journal.

One last point. If this was in fact a budgetary decision it was penny wise and pound foolish. The $440 I pay a year for my subscription would easily cover your travel costs ( or Lord forbid Ben Baby forgoes a trip or two to College Station! ). I’m beginning to wonder if that money could be better spent on a subscription to the Lubbock Avalanche Journal.

Best regards,
JH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.