ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Kingsbury, Haverty preview Oklahoma on RRFWKK

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
Kliff Kingsbury and Trey Haverty were featured on this week's 'Red Raider Football with Kliff Kingsbury.' Note and quotes from the hour-long radio show are below.

• Kingsbury said that the fact the Red Raiders finding a way to win Saturday against Kansas despite how the offense played "shows what type of team that we're becoming" when they can win on the road despite a poor performance.
  • "We got some guys back to that I think will make a big difference in attitude and how they approach the game. It's been a good week. We've grinded them hard. [...] We'll have a much better showing this week."
  • Kingsbury on DeAndre Washington: "He's not afraid of any moment, of any team."
  • Kingsbury said the team has repped that two-point conversion play "a ton" and Le'Raven Clark only caught the ball about half the time in practice. "We were all holding our breath on the sideline."
  • "He's practiced some. He looks like he should be able to go. We won't know until Saturday."
  • Jah'Shawn Johnson "is a ballhawk." Kingsbury said the ball always seems to find Johnson.
FIRST BREAK
  • Kingsbury said the team is "making strides" with its turnover margin, but "still not where we want to be."
  • Kingsbury's favorite athlete growing up was Joe Montana.
  • Kingsbury sounded like he was joking a little bit, but he said he thinks his halftime speech last week "backfired," probably too much "fire."
  • Kingsbury said the team will "get better" at playing at 11 a.m. "We'll handle that better next time."
  • Kingsbury said Barcelona is the coolest place he's been overseas.
  • Kingsbury, if given the chance to be a superhero, would probably be Batman because "he has all that money."
  • "I think there is a need depth-wise at defensive line. We have a big class coming in next year. I'd say first and foremost defensive line."
  • Kingsbury said that the Red Raiders are also taking a "hard look" at addressing the safety position in recruiting.
  • Kingsbury on whether he sends "Haha" or "LOL" in texts: "Always 'Haha.' 'LOL' seems like you're blowing someone off. 'Haha' means you're genuinely laughing at something someone says."
  • Kingsbury said that Pat Mahomes probably held the ball too long on a couple of those sacks against Kansas: "I think he got in the mode, a little frustrated, trying to do too much at times."
  • Kingsbury is trying to get caught up on Homeland. "That's my in-season show right now, Homeland."
  • "I knocked 'Narcos' out in like a weekend. Stellar."
  • Kingsbury said they've "tinkered" with the idea of Clark playing guard some, especially if he's not 100 percent.
  • Kingsbury's knowledge of the tortilla tradition is "limited."
  • Kingsbury on throwing tortillas: "I love it. I'm probably not supposed to say that but it's been a great tradition here for a long time."
SECOND BREAK
  • "Mike (Mitchell) hurt his hamstring in the third game. He's been recovering from that. He'll work into special teams and we'll take it from there."
  • Kingsbury said practice hasn't been impacted much by weather this week.
  • Kingsbury on Mike Stoops' defense: "Very multiple. Changes up fronts a ton. Brings a lot of pressure from everywhere. Has been playing a lot more man coverage this year."
  • Kingsbury said he's met Lincoln Riley "a few times" but doesn't know him very well.
  • Kingsbury on his memories of playing in Norman as a player. "Not great."
  • He recalled playing in Norman in 2002 with the Big 12 South Division title on the line and noted "it wasn't pretty."
THIRD BREAK
  • Trey Haverty's wife is expecting their second child, a daughter, in November during Texas Tech's bye week.
  • Haverty recruited Mahomes out of high school and said that No. 5 is a "special" kid. "He's a 3.9 student in the classroom. He's a guy that everyone rallies behind. [...] Every single person that's met Pat brags on him as a person."
  • "East Texas kids are similar to what the SEC plays with. Really good athletes, raw. Sometimes they just need to get into a big environment. [...] It's fun to recruit out there."
  • Haverty was born in Shreveport, La. but considers himself a "true Texan."
  • Haverty said the hardest part about being a football coach is setting aside dedicated family time.
FOURTH BREAK
  • Haverty said that the team has had a good week of practice but "talk is cheap" and they'll see what happens on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News