ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Kenny Perry happy to find a way to win in run game, special teams pres. by Prosper Energy Management

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Transcript of relevant quotes from Perry this afternoon.

What'd you think of Tahj's effort on Saturday?
"He was definitely special Saturday. I mean, he's been special his whole career, but Saturday, you know, just some of the runs he had, his vision is unbelievable. He sees things that I definitely don't see, not that I should, but he, he hit some runs there that obviously was big from the standpoint it kept the clock moving and got us, got us in some field goal range a couple times. Just an unbelievable performance by him. He never ceases to amase me."

Do you have a player comp for Tahj, we talked to Joey and he said Leveon Bell, maybe...
"I kind of think he's a little bit like Marshawn Lynch, though, too. You know, because he's he just finds the creases and hits them, and then he's going to make the first guy miss. Marshawn Lynch was pretty good at that too. I think the other part of Tahj just out of the backfield, you know what he's doing, catching the ball too. He does some things, then goes his pass protections. Just, I mean, he made some plays the other day that weren't necessarily his guys, that he just saw and just, you know, one that he we hit coy for the touchdown. Same thing. Great, great blitz pickup. Behren had time to throw it to Coy. And you guys can see what Behren does when he has time."

Obviously Josh Kelly put the ball on the ground...
"Terrible. I mean, yeah, it sucks. I mean, he knows that. I know that everybody knows that, can't do that. You know you can't do that. He knows that, he felt bad. He's apologized to me twice, and I said, Josh, I know that's not what you meant to do, but you can't give it away. Fortunately our defense came through and held them to three points there instead of a touchdown. Because, you know, you just, you can't do that in games, definitely, any game, but big games that just don't turn the ball over on special teams. And, yeah, that irks me, but you know, you got to move on to you can't sit there and dwell on it. But, yeah, we addressed and we moved on."

"It was our own guy, chasing the guy. And you shouldn't, we shouldn't do that. You never chase a guy going, you know, back towards the returner. Because Josh made the guy miss, and we had a crease. I mean, he was just getting ready to hit the thing, and our own guy hit it out of his hand. But, you know, you still gotta protect the ball. But yeah, it was on the guy that did it."

How'd you feel about Jack's punt and him overall?
"Oh, great. I mean, he's, heck yeah, and make him drive 90 yards. Jack's been, he's been great at that. You know, Austin was the same way. Austin was great. But Jack's, you know, he's put a bunch of balls inside the 10 yard line for us so far. He works it quite a bit. But, you know, that situation late in the game, you know, make him drive 90 yards and then come up, you know, the other thing as big was they missed two field goals, and we made ours. So it's a big part of the game, you know, kicking. Field position, that's field position to me. Kicking, making kicks, making punts, all the stuff that goes with it. So I was happy that they missed and glad we made ours."

"Like I said, for me, it's awesome, just because he's a different tool that I have not ever had, because he's got so many different types of kicks that, you know, he can do. It creates a little problem for them. So, and I still don't even think you've seen the best of Jack, you know, just because he hasn't had very many opportunities, which is awesome, means our offense is moving the ball. We're not having to punt near as much. But there's some, there's some things out there where I think he can flip the field given the opportunity as well."

Your thoughts on Arizona?

"Yeah, good football team. The good thing is, we've played two physical football games, you know, which I me personally, I just think that this program, we have to get there. We got to learn to win physical football games. You know, that's the thing that I've been here for three years and just playing Tech over the years. That's where, you know, we've lacked. We've got to be able to get in a fight, you know, and win those win those fights. Our defense has knocked some guys out of games and our offense has come through and we needed them to punch some balls in the end zone. And, you know, we've won games ugly, you know? And that's what you want to do. I mean, I don't care how you do it. You got to learn to win games, you know. I know everybody wants to see us score 80 points and win 80 to I don't. I want to win games however. You got to win them, because there's going to be a lot of different games in different situations, you've got to find ways to win. And this football team right now is finding ways to win those games. And that's what I love about them."

l2bxjsudwxhyutyqlebw

Prosper Energy Management is a mineral management company based in Dallas/Fort Worth with a Red Raider as a founding member. With over 35 years of experience in oil and gas management, Prosper provides full start-to-finish management, as well as tailored service, with the mission of serving their clients above all else. Prosper specializes in petroleum engineering, giving their clients that competitive edge when tackling the complexities of leasing, land & title, division orders, accounting, forecasting, etc
www.prosperenergymgmt.com

@Zacbash10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.