ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Joey McGuire Sunday Night Press Conference Highlights

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Kind of weird with a presser tonight, but here were the main points.

-Tyler Shough is expected to start against Ole Miss.

"I expect Tyler to be the starter in the bowl game. One, because he's playing the way he's played, but then to Behren is still you know, not 100%."

-Shough is also considering declaring for the NFL Draft, which would be a massive ripple on the Tech roster next season.

"You know, he's got a decision to make. I think it's he's played really well. You know, if you asked him before he got hurt, he would tell you that he'd declare for the draft. I mean, every scout that we talked to, you know, feels like that he has a future on Sunday. And so if he comes out and plays well on this bowl game, does he make that decision."

-James Blanchard has turned down multiple schools, was offered a lot of money but stayed at Tech.

"You know, he's told a lot of people no this year. He was on the plane with me they want you know, and I think he's the best evaluator in college football. I think he has a unique talent of being able to talk to players. I definitely want to make sure that we had him locked in and it was a lot easier to say no, because some of the texts in he got, you know, they're throwing all kinds of money and left and right. 'Hey, let's let you pick your whatever your title is' and all that."

-McGuire seemed pleased with the Texas Bowl for recruiting and other reasons, along with playing a quality opponent.

"Excited to play in that bowl. They treat the players right. It's a great atmosphere. You know, I expect our fans, it's good that we're in Texas and playing Houston. It's going to be good for recruiting but it's also going to be really good for our fans. I mean, if I'll be shocked if we don't sell our ticket allotment and ask for more."

-McGuire didn't speak much about the home visits, but had just landed from the DFW area, sounded like all went well.

-He expects 10 starters to come back on offense (Shough), and if guys make decisions, up to 7 starters can return on defense. With that many returning, he spoke about his philosophy on the transfer portal this offseason.

"With us, we're gonna be slow. We've got a lot of players coming back you know, I mean, whatever you’re opinion on what you say the starters are, we've got 10 guys coming back on defense and then I mean offense and then we've got some guys making a decision if they're going to declare or come back. So we can have seven starters coming back on defense. So we want to make sure whenever it comes to that that we're really slow or doing your homework on players and you know, that make a huge impact on our team and we want to bring somebody in from the portal."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News