ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Perry says of Tech special teams pres. by Prosper Energy Management

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Interesting convo with coach Perry this afternoon with more questions about the special teams units and the ever going kicking competition. Here's some notable quotes from the afternoon.

How important was the blocked extra point from Dooda Banks?
"Awesome. He's been doing it, you know, he had, he went last year versus Central Florida. Coach book, been getting those guys ready. Our biggest thing is just getting lined up, if we get lined up, we're going to be alright. So hats off to those guys. It was a huge play. Anytime you do that, you know, then you're playing behind, the two-point conversion is hard enough as it is."

How would you evaluate how your special teams overall did on Saturday?
"You know, I'm about field position. So anytime you win the field position balttle on special teams, I consider that a win. I thought we had a shot there to get one of those punt returns loose, guy got him basically by a finger and it would've been a touchdown if he got through it. Jack (Burgess) punted the ball pretty good, except for the one, not the one that went into the endzone, I still think that was a good play by Drae. Those hurt our net because you got to put those things inside the 10, like we're used to. Jack's great, Jack's been really good for us. I really love what he brings to our game plan with the rugby punt. I've never been a big rugby punt guy, but he's able to do that. That's, that's kind of the strength, but he can also hit a traditional ball too. So, it's been challenging for me to throw those in a game plan, but it's been a blessing because we have a weapon that I've never had."

Is alternating the kickers throughout the entire season a possibility?
"Until it doesn't work. It's worked, so I'm not going to change. Like I've said, I said, I'm not the smartest guy, but, you know, I always try to be fair with guys, honestly. I told those guys, you guys compete and that's what they've been doing. I think it's helped our football team, and the rest of the whole team loves it. Those two guys love it, you know. So keep doing it, and you know, hopefully it works all season."

Did you have any hesitation about putting Reese (Burkhardt) out there in the fourth quarter?
"Like I said, he's, you know, he's earned that spot. So we got confidence. I got confidence for all of our guys, you know, that's kind of the thing. Doesn't matter who it is, we try to put them out there. And that's the cool part about college football. That's why they're here. You know, they're here to perform, and if they don't, somebody else is going to get that opportunity."

What have you seen from Cincy's interior line and how they stop the run?
"They're good up front. They're really good. I like that. I mean, they got a good football team. Last week's team was good too. And I thought that was probably the best front that we faced. This week, they're just as good. They got some players. They're physical. And the good thing is, you know, I think we got some guys too. I like to think that 28 and his compadres are going to go play too. So I think up front, you know, Coach McGuire and coach Cochran, we got, you know, we've got, we've got a challenge. There's no doubt about that. But the thing that's helping us this year is worth throwing the ball down the field too. They're not able to load the box like they did last year. So I think having the receivers that we've got, tight ends making the plays, it's making it where we're not playing with as many guys in the box like we did last year."

What'd you think of Cam Dickey on Saturday?
"He probably had the best run of the night that that was a huge people realized that it was third and whatever was 10, and we kind of got stopped. That was a big run. What was crazy was that he almost hit that exact same play this spring. He had to spin move broke outside. You know, next time we just got to go score. Great move. Just go score. I told him you can make all everything happen back there, go make it worth in the end zone."

Where is J'Koby Williams relative to your pre-season expectations?

"Further ahead of where I thought he would. Just from the learning curve, being a freshman, you know, coming from a small school, he's picked up the offense really well, and now we're starting to be able to see using certain packages to do things with him. I'm going to dial him up this week on special teams as well. So the more those guys can handle, the more that we're going to put on them. You know, that's the biggest thing. You just think a kid is a good athlete, you throw all kinds of stuff on them, and that's not how that works. They got to learn, you know."

IMG_0936.jpeg

Prosper Energy Management is a mineral management company based in Dallas/Fort Worth with a Red Raider as a founding member. With over 35 years of experience in oil and gas management, Prosper provides full start-to-finish management, as well as tailored service, with the mission of serving their clients above all else. Prosper specializes in petroleum engineering, giving their clients that competitive edge when tackling the complexities of leasing, land & title, division orders, accounting, forecasting, etc.

www.prosperenergymgmt.com

@Zacbash10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.