ADVERTISEMENT

I may have found the next Sheryl Swoopes today

J Jo

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Dallas
My ten year old daughter has been attending the Nancy Lieberman basketball camp in Frisco, TX this week. I have been there for 8 hours a day for four days. The campers are Boys & Girls, ages 5-17. It was a great life experience with Nancy being there leading every minute of every day. There may have been around 150 campers and at least 20 or so coaches. I feel like I made a lot of friends for life this week. One of the coaches who became a great friend is Lady Raider Antionette Iroko and although I did not see her play, if quality of character counts, she is a star.

Now for the star of the camp, who just showed up yesterday because of a family vacation and I only witnessed the last five minutes of her last game today. Her name is Mia Deck, and while she was playing against only boys who looked 15 to 17, she was the star and MVP of her league's 4 teams. The good news after having lunch with Mia and subsequently talking to her AAU coach, is she has yet to be contacted by any colleges. Believe me, I got her excited about the Lady Raiders and I introduced her to Antionette. Now for the bad news, she is only 13 years old and going into the 9th grade. I did not watch the Lady Raiders play last year (although I will this year), but I don't doubt she could start this year if she was old enough. She and her coach said now is a good time to start getting some contact from colleges and both would be thrilled to hear from the Lady Raiders. So does anyone know how to contact Candi Whitaker? I looked on the Lady Raider web site, but did not see any contact info. Mia was also excited to hear that Candi was the point guard on the Swoopes NCAA championship team. I plan on taking my daughter to some of her AAU games this summer in Frisco, and I hope I am around to watch her be a college star somewhere and hopefully in Lubbock. If anyone in the area is interested, I will be getting her schedule soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.