ADVERTISEMENT

I have posted about a Sailplane / Glider Club For Tech Folks

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
I live in Ft Worth, but grew up in Lubbock. I flew sailplanes and contests at Hobbs, etc. for years and towed glider as well in L 19 and Pawnee. I have a Citibria now. Never put a dent in anything.

I wanted to start a sailplane / Glider Club in the Lubbock area. I helped financially form one at Hamilton and Houston.

I have been talking with area airports about this. We have one that is interested.

I would buy the glider. Maybe we name it Raider Red! Ha

The folks think it will be slow going on the glider side but are to be a 501 C so donations like mine will be tax deductible.

We have access to a network of folks with the ability to donate some Equipment. They suggest and I agree, to set up a Flying Club with a Cessna 150 or the like and then tip toe into the glider side. Power pilots transition very east to gliders.

If you have the time and interest there is a lot of activity at Morarity New Mex. I think you can go there and get your glider rating fast. Then all glider hours transfer one for one to power. I will keep you informed when I am told I can identify the place. We try to find airports one to one half hours from Lubbock. You have wonderful weather all around you. I have flow 2 contest at Littlefield.

I was one of the Founder of the Houston Club in late 70s, now 200 with 4 top competition pilots and one on US World Team, Ken Sorenson.

I was co founder of Hamilton Soaring Club about 4 years ago, about the size of Crosbyton and now has 90 members' and a National contest starting next week. The largest group in years, 35 folks from all over USA. If you are interested buy the book, Tech RB Bath uncle, a Medical Doctor Gave us a $60,000 Glider!! The joy of Soaring, the basic book . Hubcity

Hub City

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.