ADVERTISEMENT

How to get rid of UH, Cincy, WVU, and UCF

MjolnirTTU

Something Not As Cool
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2019
I think to some extent we can agree these four are not exciting fits in a Big 12-Pac-12 merger. Not sure if this is feasible, but if I was in charge I'd try a merger. Not one conference taking from the other; both conferences dissolving and forming a new one. Two reasons:

1. A merger allows all schools to come in at an equal revenue share. In the past when a conference adds teams (i.e. TCU and WVU to the Big 12 in 2012), the new teams get phased in. They start at something like 50% of a full payout and work their way up to a full payout over several years. The Arizona schools, Utah, Colorado, etc. aren't going to want to sign up for that by moving to the Big 12. Texas Tech, OKST, KU, etc. don't want to sign up for that going west. Dissolution of both conferences and formation of a new conference puts everyone on equal footing.

2. It seems easier to dissolve a conference than to vote a member out. The only school we're currently in a grant of rights with that I want to get rid of is West Virginia. If you could get the other eight schools to vote to dissolve, you can leave West Virginia out in the cold. This means Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, OKST, KU, K-State, and ISU need a completely united front. They all have to go to the new conference, otherwise they have no incentive to dissolve. Get OU and UT to vote for it in exchange for letting them leave early at a reduced buyout (or no buyout).

I'm not sure we're tied to Cincy and UH at all. We haven't signed a grant of rights with them. I know they were officially invited to and accepted into the Big 12, but I don't think they have a vote yet. Basically, sorry but the conference you're joining no longer exists. Good luck.

Keep BYU as the eighth team coming over from the Big 12, and merge with the best eight from the Pac-12 (everyone but Oregon State and Wazzu). Call it the Big Pac or whatever.
  • West Pod: Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal
  • Mountain Pod: Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU
  • South Pod: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU
  • Plains Pod: Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado
Pod scheduling would keep the central time zone schools from playing in the pacific time zone more than once per season. This leaves the "hodge podge" eastern time zone schools and UH out. They can join the AAC with Wazzu and Oregon State. Sucks for them but it's a cutthroat business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.