ADVERTISEMENT

How Long is a Game, and the Future of Sports (D1 and Pro)

Doc 20

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2002
Went to my first NBA game since Reunion was the home of the Mavs and Stars last night. As far as the game, I'm still not a fan of the professional game. Too much of an "And One" game for my tastes...but there is no denying the athletic greatness of the players.

But here was the thing that struck me most. The game presentation was continuous and over the top, and the whole show was over before I knew it. Much shorter game time than college football, NFL or MLB games. My wife agreed. We both were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the entire thing was from an entertainment perspective. I think the NBA has got this down just about right.

Long intro...here's my point: The college football game have become exceedingly long, not just because of the Air Raid like passing games, but more because of the constant network timeouts for commercials. I know the TV contracts pay the freight, but 4+ hours for a game is far too long...3-5 minute commercial breaks during "timeouts", which are supposed to be only 1 minute by rule, are ridiculous!! Hell HS games with the 45 minute halftime shows whip my ass. The HS game itself is about right and could be 2-2.5 hours or so without the drill team and bands.

So how long do y'all think a game should be? College FB...NFL...MLB...college MBB, etc. And what should be done to address the current length of games in each sport?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.