ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Holgorsen: "They used to throw me tortillas ... Now, I'm getting hit by them but that's cool"

B. Soliz

B. Vegas
Staff
Aug 7, 2017
Lubbock
Here's a break down from Houston coach Dana Holgorsen's weekly press conference:

- Holgorsen said culture more than anything helped them finish the OT game against UTSA. He said they finished the bowl game and late games last season behind culture. He mentioned it's just how they play. "Hang in there and keep the faith." They talked about that all week.

- Holgorsen talked about last year when they played Tyler Shough. He called Tyler big, experienced and athletic. He said Shough can run around a bit, which is how he ended up getting hurt. He said that's why he tells Clayton Tune to get down. They'll be preparing for both Shough and Donovan Smith.

- Holgorsen on Donovan: Another big kid that can throw and run it. He doesn't expect the Red Raider offense to change though no matter who plays QB.

- Dana said he doesn't think anybody would prefer to have two-straight road games to start the season. But, they'll deal with it. Thinks they handled the first one well in San Antonio. They're coming into another pumped up environment.

"Joey's got some - coach McGuire has got that place excited. I got a lot of history at that place and know what they're capable of from a fan perspective - putting people in those seats, being loud and supporting the Red Raiders."

- Dana said game ones are challenging but new staffs make things more exciting. He said they throw everything out of the window from last year's game with new coaches. However, the players are still aware about a year ago. He has experience with Tim DeRuyter though from 2009 when he was at Air Force and has followed him through his years. The connections are there for Dana with DeRuyter and Zach Kittley.

- They won't talk about the future or playing two Big 12 teams back-to-back in Tech and Kansas. They're focused on the 2022 Cougars. It's cool for the fans and the future but as far as this team it won't be mentioned.

- "We're going to be ready to go ... We're fortunate as a team to be sitting here at 1-0. We know we got to get better ... Big challenge in Lubbock. Get used to it - these games are going to happen a lot."

- On rivalries starting to form/reshape with Big 12 Texas schools: "It should start trending that way. That was the way things were here 30-40 years ago. It's the way things are going to be in the future ... It's really not - I'm glad we got a chance to do that ... That's kinda cool for our fans to get excited about."

- Have you ever been hit by a tortilla? "I have - I have. I've coached a lot of games in Lubbock. I was up in the box for eight years. I've been on the sidelines five times since I left there. It's an awesome place. I got a lot of memories there. They used to throw me tortillas on my way up to the press box. Now, I'm getting hit by them but that's cool. As long as they're not slapping me ... it's better than rocks."

Full video below:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.