ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Gator's Bayou Matador Report

B. Soliz

B. Vegas
Staff
Aug 7, 2017
Lubbock
@M. Clare and I will be back next week with *fingers crossed* the best audio and sound quality for y'all. Finally, have a new mic and it sounds awesome. Can't wait to use it. For now, I answered some questions from a few subscribers. Let me know your thoughts and chat it up. Happy Friday!

Be sure to check out Gator's Bayou in Lubbock for your Cajun craving. Grab yourself a cold beer and watch all the action on the number of TVs available playing your favorite games including your Red Raiders.

Do you think this staff has recruited better quality players than the last staff?

I think this staff has recruited players they know want to be in Lubbock. They recruited and will continue to recruit guys that will get it done academically and on the field. I think they've done tons of research and are hitting on players with tons of upside. We'll know a lot about the quality of player on the field next year and that's also when we'll see where Matt Wells has this program next year – when he has his first full recruiting class in town.

Any insight on how basketball recruiting might end up?

This one is probably better answered by @B. Golan and @TTUHoopsFans but I like the direction of the bringing in some bigs like Gethro Muscadin. Shows that Beard is addressing the paint and making their presence known their. Hopefully Ben can provide some more insight for you there.

Can you add any thoughts on what the SEZ MIGHT be?

Kirby addressed the current capacity of the Jones on his radio show. He said they're happy with it. I'm interested to hear about the few designs they do have planned. I would love another screen there of some sort. An open concept with an additional two gates to help foot traffic? The possibilities are lined up but I'm going to say they'll stray away from adding any sort of seating.

In terms of recruiting, which DB are you most excited about seeing in Red and Black?

When you say DB I include safeties so Kobee Minor. I was sold from this story by Ben and here's why. There's a quote in there where he explains what he saw on the field that led him to an interception in a game. He shows smarts, he has size and will benefit tremendously from the strength coaches. I think he'll be a great plug in to learn from Adrian Frye in the backfield. His two-way presence in high school also helps him in terms of knowing both sides of the football and how they break down. I'm excited for him. Honorable mention: Nate Floyd at corner.

How good can this team be if we see this version of Jett going forward?

I think they'll be lights out but your defense has to do what it did and create those turnovers and three-and-outs. I want to see Jett first against this Baylor defense. The Bears have the ability to really frazzle an opposing QB. I want to see him make smart throws and run with the ball when things aren't there down the field. They'll keep everything behind the line, the Bears defense that is. The short pass, screen and RPO game will be relied on heavily. Can they make plays happen with the ball in their hands? The Red Raiders will need to do that in order to break that zone Baylor runs. But, to really answer your question – Jett could have this team sitting really pretty once it comes bowl time. Three more wins – Kansas, BU, ISU or WVU and K-State. I think they'll obviously take care of Kansas. K-State might be a fight but I like your chance at home. Iowa state I feel comfortable with him. Texas and one of the road games will be an L, IMO. But, that's a possible six-seven win season which will be great for Wells' debut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.