ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Final Whistle Thoughts: Abilene Christian

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Texas Tech put a “1” in the win column but there was plenty to question in this one. Some off the cuff thoughts…

-Drae McCray was dynamite in the return game. Was the best thing for the Red Raiders for three quarters. Hard to get that dude the ball a ton in the passing game but I’d like to see him in space more.

-Tahj Brooks looked a bit slimmer and seemed to have a bit more pep in the step with the ball in his hands. Solid night for him, but nothing super groundbreaking, in all honesty. Would’ve liked to see him a bit more physical, but he had a nice night, especially with the TD run.

-Morton had some nice moments, and some moments that made me a touch concerned. The sack in the first half was a ball that needed to get out. There was also a throw to Eakin on a corner route, that was completed but needed to come out quicker. The post touchdown to Kelly on the flea flicker was nice.

-Kelly showed a lot of promise, and there were a couple of times that he seemed really, really close to breaking one. The shake is there and he has some athletic ability that just hasn’t been present here lately.

-I want to watch the film before judging the OL too harshly, however, there was not enough push in the run game. I thought there was some good in pass pro, though. Talk Monday on that.

-Cofield and Carroll were really strong. I really liked what I saw from the both of them, promising. Overall, the d-front struggled, the Wildcats were able to get a ton of push in the run game and McIvor had tons of time all night

-The secondary was bad. Flat out. Not having Lux really was apparent here and the Red Raiders have a lot to work on before next week. Horn and Peoples didn’t look ready. Baskerville was slow, and it led to a 71-yard touchdown pass. I’ll likely have more after watching the film but overall, it’s not great. You’re right to be concerned.

It’s a win…Wasn’t pretty, but you’re 1-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.