ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Final assessment of loss to Butler pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
I have a confession to make. For the first time in a very long time, I was genuinely excited while watching Texas Tech basketball. I’ve given this team its fair chance, and I think even after a loss, I am ready to say the outlook on this team is a positive one. I had fun watching this game from a pure basketball standpoint because it was a battle.

As far as the negatives go from last night, the most obvious and glaring miscue was the repeated battering this defense was taking in the paint. It started with Warren Washington, who has had success in rim protection when players are slashing to the rim and he can jump and get his arms up. Where he struggled however, was exposed last night in defending the back to the basket attack. I don’t think he was at a height disadvantage, but he just wasn’t strong enough to hold back the Butler’s big men. It did not help that the perimeter guys were constantly getting beat off the dribble, forcing Warren or whoever was sitting helpside to slide up, leading to dump off layups. It was a physicality issue more than anything, just guys getting bullied to the rim or down low.

It was truly one of the more confusing performances defensively. Butler was effective in the drive-and-dish for buckets at the rim or the drive-and-kick for open looks outside, i.e. Jahmyl Telfort’s three ball to give the Bulldogs the lead before Pop tied the game.

But there was something I mentioned last night and it’s something to keep in mind as we move along. Grant McCasland’s teams have been built on defense. That is his coaching identity. So did a performance like last night bother me, yes, absolutely. But, the silver lining here is seeing the way McCasland coaches these guys and the way he has coached, it will likely get remedied.

Chance McMillian was on one and if you had been paying close attention to him, you knew a performance like this was bound to happen. My high school coach told us one time there is a difference between “shooters” and “makers”, everyone wants to be a shooter but there are very few who are actually makers. Last night, McMillian was a maker. As the game wore on, Thad Matta finally realized this and McMillian ended up being face-guarded, meaning his looks towards the back end were harder to come by.

I liked what Joe Toussaint and Pop Isaacs were able to do handling the basketball. More so with Toussaint specifically, he is crafty and I didn’t mind seeing him be able to create for others. His motor is impressive, never stops moving and is always looking for a way to the basket, whether that be for himself or for others. Isaacs looked solid off the bounce as well, took a few mid-range shots which is something you rarely see anymore across any level of today’s game.

As the season progresses, I want to see the depth factor into this team more. Kerwin Walton and Lamar Washington saw the floor in spurts, but Tech only really played six players. What can Robert Jennings and Eemeli Yalaho contribute on a nightly basis? Only being able to count on six guys is not going to get it done in conference play, that’s just the harsh truth. The fight in the core of this team is satisfying to watch, but there can’t be a significant drop off when guys come in off the bench.

That being said, I’ve never been a fan of moral victories but for last night’s game, I walked away with far fewer questions than I did following the first three games at home. This team will be fine.

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News