ADVERTISEMENT

Executive Summary on Texas Tech heading into conference play

Rolf C

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2004
One mind game I always play against myself is how would I defend against Texas Tech? If the Red Raiders are rolling into my gym how am I going to stop them from scoring, and how am I going to score against them? You know, scouting. Here's my brief scouting report heading into Big 12 play.

Overall against Texas Tech I would play zone until I couldn't. It would have to be an aggressive zone because this incarnation of the Red Raiders can catch and shoot pretty well, so stretch the zone out to meet these shooters then fall back quickly when they pass. The best idea on defense I think is to make whomever has the ball pick it up, but that's tough to do in a zone. Enough Red Raiders are good passers that going man against them is asking for trouble. Isaacs, Harmon, Obanor, and Batcho will eat up most man defenses.

I originally broke down each starter but stopped because really the defense against them all is mostly the same: Must make them pick up the dribble otherwise you are asking for trouble. This team is full of guys who can dribble into a scoring position, or pass the ball to someone in a position to score it. Texas Tech are not world beaters yet, but they definitely have the pieces to give anyone a game.

Offensively against Texas Tech, I'm going at Batcho if I have the personnel for it. The Red Raiders with him on the bench are a different team, and not as good as a team. Currently there is no serviceable backup for Batcho, maybe Aimaq will be that guy but that's not soon and it's certainly not for the opener at TCU. With Batcho out Texas Tech looks different and plays different.

If I'm isolated on Pop Isaacs I'm going at him because he's a freshman and he's built like a freshman. He's a good player, there's not a team in the Big 12 he couldn't play for, but he is a freshman and road life for freshman is often pretty brutal. I'm going at him if I'm isolated on him and forcing him to defend me.

Those two are really the only things that stand out to me defensively. I would lay off Lamar Washington and play him to drive. I would force D'Maurian Williams to drive. I'd lay off Robert Jennings and KJ Allen and force them to shoot. I'd lay off Kerwin Walton until he made me play him. Elijah Fisher is an interesting player, I'd start by laying off him and forcing him to shoot.

On Fisher, it's pretty easy for me to imagine him having a game where he only scores a little but gets some key rebounds. He's pretty active and (like Washington) is not physically built like a freshman. Fisher has the mind of a freshman where Isaacs does not. That's not a knock on Fisher.

On Walton, lot of beating on him on the board here but the last two games he has shown some defensive chops. I'm hoping he was just slower to come to it than some other guys, right now it is sure trending in the right way.

Regarding TCU, gotta watch Emanuel Miller, Mike Miles, Chuck O'Bannon, Damion Baugh. Baugh can be turned over and is a good passer. Eddie Lampkin can be turned over and is a poor free throw shooter. Much like Texas Tech, when Lampkin is out of the game TCU looks different and plays different. Can't let Lampkin or Miles go crazy, and this year must add Miller to that list.

I'm going to Ohio now for fourth and final Christmas. Watching the Red Raider Bowl game tonight with big UC insiders and boosters (my extended family on Mary's side). I pull for UC sports because I'm polite, but I really only have eyes for Texas Tech. Super excited to watch the playoffs Saturday with these folks.

Original notes follow, these are a summary of my season long (to date) notes. Just left them here as filler to make the post extra long.

On Batcho, force him out an extra step away from the basket and make him pick up his dribble. Batcho can handle the ball better than any other post player in the Big 12 that I've seen (I've seen them all except Aimaq). If he catches the ball 15 feet from the basket facing the basket, he will drive you to the rim and likely either draw a foul or score. He has no back to the basket post game, so make him pick up the ball and crowd him, don't let him turn to the basket. A very quick double team will make him pick up the ball, then he is not a scoring threat but he is still a passer. He's a good passer so keep your head on a swivel. Everyone should cut to the basket but mostly it's Obanor so watch him.

On Obanor, he's pretty tough with and without the ball. Don't get discouraged if he gets 15 or 20 points, but make it tough sledding for him. You must cut him off on the baseline whether he has the ball or not. He's crafty and sizeable around the rim. Stay with him on the perimeter and crowd him at all times, don't give him any daylight. If you cut him off on a drive, make sure he picks up the dribble else he's going to back you down. Double team him on the drive.

Harmon is better left than right when it comes to scoring, but pretty smooth on the dribble with either hand. Force him right on the drive. If anyone is going to beat me with the three pointer all night, make it be Harmon. He's a capable long range shooter but not in the same class as Obanor or Isaacs or Tyson. Force him right and make him pull up. Do not double team him on the catch, he will step through the double team and either draw a foul or make it a 5-on-3 look.

Be very physical with Isaacs, he's a freshman and built like a freshman. Wear him out. Stay in front of him on the dribble, double team him to make him pick up the ball. Do not double team him on the catch, he can beat that like Harmon. Isaacs can and will shoot, and is a really good passer. Must make him pick up the dribble and get rid of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.