Mesquite (Texas) DB Bryan Henderson

Allen (Texsa) LB Jakob Yendell

Owasso (Okla.) DE Caleb Colvin

Plano (Texas) West 2017 LB Mohamed Sanogo

Sachse (Texas)M 2018 QB Jaylen Mayden

Arlington (Texas) Houston RB Peytton Pickett

Notes:

-
It was really good to get things started today on the satellite camp trail. Today wasn't as much about the on-field performers as it was about the prospects that came by to watch.

-There were a ton of big profile visitors out there today, many of which were last minute decisions to attend. They all had great things to say about the Red Raiders though, and you could tell everyone listed above was having a great time.

-The Trinity camp is a bit of an appetizer compared to the Lancaster camp most years, and that held true this year. Sure, there were several prospects that stood out, but only a few. But, that's not really a fair comparison, as the Lancaster camp is usually the wildest and biggest one of the entire circuit, as it's shaping up to be tomorrow, too.

-----

As prospects began to pile in at the Euless camp this afternoon, Irving Nimitz linebacker Noah Spears rolled up to hang out with the coaching staff for a little bit. After visiting Lubbock earlier this spring, the senior has been trying to build his bond with the Red Raiders and is planning another visit in a few weeks.

“I still have good communication with the coaches. I’m actually going to go down in a couple of weeks to go visit my grandparents, so I’m gonna go up to Tech and hangout, watch them workout, but yeah, it’s going real good. Still leaning towards Tech, my home town, so yeah.”

The two coaches that Spears really keeps up with the most right now are DC David Gibbs and OC Eric Morris.

“Coach Gibbs, we talk twice, maybe three times a week, just telling me more about the defense, and he’s really good at staying in communication with me. Coach Morris, he’s something else. Real funny guy. And I love talking to him. I talked to Coach Kingsbury the other day, too, just asking how he’s doing, told him I’m going to come down in a couple of weeks.”

As for a timetable, Spears is hoping to make a decision here in a month or two before his senior season begins.

“I’ll make a decision by the end of the summer or early on in football season this next year. That way I can focus on my team and where we need to be.”

--

One of several prospects that stuck out at the camp on Sunday was Allen (Texas) outside linebacker Jakob Yandell. Before the camp, he was excited to get a chance to compete, as he’s already been hearing from one of Tech’s coaches.

“I’ve been talking to Coach Haverty, the linebackers coach. He said they’re real interested in me. Other than that, I really don’t have many details on it.”

As for what he does best, Yandell feels he’s great in coverage and at shedding blocks.

“Little things I do like dropping in coverage, getting off blocks well. I need to work on tackling, but other than that, I think I’m doing pretty good.”

Yandell wanted to show off his skills for the coaching staff, but he felt things went well overall. He also loved being coached by Haverty.

“He’s a good coach, coaches the linebackers well, and they have a good program going on.”

---

One of the best defenders at the camp was undoubtedly Plano (Texas) West 2017 linebacker Mohamed Sanogo. I spoke with him a bit before the camp, and the OLB was ready to compete.

“I’m feeling good. I’m ready to compete with all these good guys out here, think there’s some good talent out here.”

He’s been buiding a relationship with the Tech coaching staff already, however.

“I’ll call Coach Haverty about once every week or so,” he said. “They seem very interested, and it seems like a very good school. I want to go up there and visit sometime.”

As for where the Red Raiders want him, it looks like they seem him as a rush end in the future.

“Linebacker, but they said maybe something about stand-up D-end. My school does that when we play a good tight end, so I’m used to that.”

Before the camp, Sanogo was excited to hopefully get the entire coaching staff to notice him.

“I want to get all the coaches looking at me, not just Coach Haverty, and hopefully I’ll get an offer soon.”

After the camp, he felt things went about as well as they could have.

“It went pretty well. I felt pretty good. Coach said I was the best one on all the drills, so I was pretty happy.”

He also loved being coached up by Trey Haverty.

“I like him. There’s a lot of energy with the linebacker coaches, so I enjoyed it.”

As for everything else in the recruiting process, things are still new for the 2017 prospect, but he’s already been hearing from Tech and a few other schools.

“It’s going pretty good. I don’t have any offers yet, but that’s because I’m so young. I’m excited about this next season.”

---

Reactions: coreycheek
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.