ADVERTISEMENT

David Letterman and the passage of time.

Oh-Pa

Techsan
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2012
I have been capturing the past few nights of The David Letterman Show on my DVR. When I was in college in the early to mid 1980's we never missed a show of his. I continued to watch until the mid-1990's and then stopped. Unless I saw a Youtube clip or something I didn't ever see the show on TV.

Realizing that this week and next week will be the last two weeks of his show I decided to tape them so I could watch them when I am able. Through the first two shows I've watched this week I am shocked at how much speed David has lost on his comedy fastball. It is really sad to see. Last night I was watching the Wednesday show and David did some income tax day humor and then ran a clip from the mid-1990's. The difference in the level of humor was incredible.

The other thing that hit me was how we are all aging. Billy Crystal and Michael J. Fox have been on so far this week and each time the folks on the Letterman show showed clips of prior appearances (Crystal-41 appearances, Fox-34 appearances) and they were incredible too. Parkinson's has really affected Fox and Crystal has grandkids now that were discussed.

We are all getting older- that point has been driven home watching the folks that have been a part of our culture the past 30 years or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.