ADVERTISEMENT

Commercial Office Space Leasing

texastechka

Red Raider
Aug 22, 2010
Houston, TX
Hi,

I have a few questions about commercial office space leasing as a soon to be tenant (somewhere):

I'm looking at what I would describe as A- and Class B+ office space in west Houston, 2000-3000 sq. ft.

Generally, the market here for office space has been on a tear, but has cooled off over the last 6 months with persistently low oil and natural gas prices and many oil field service and related businesses downsizing and closing their doors.

I'm wondering, in a general sense, how negotiable are commercial office space terms? i.e. how badly can I beat the leasing agents up? For example, if Class B space is offered at $27/sq. ft., full service, is that just the "MSRP" like with a new car, then I can expect to do 10-20% better than that by pushing hard? I've already learned I can negotiate for things like construction credits and reserved parking, but I want to get a sense for how hard I should reasonably push on rent?

Also, what is the protocol for how a deal is consummated? Do I submit a written offer/proposal to lease the space like one would do in a real estate purchase transaction?

Further, am I better off representing myself, or should I engage a broker (even if I have already identified the properties myself)? Meaning, do I stand to get a better deal by not bringing someone else who needs to get paid into the fold?

Thanks for any advice?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.