ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Hodges quotes

B. Watson

Red Raider in Rock Chalk territory
Aug 14, 2019
Hutchinson, Kan.
www.hutchnews.com
Chris Level and Aaron Dickens talked with former Texas Tech quarterback Cody Hodges and talked about, simply, quarterbacks.

Cody, you have a unique perspective here because you have a relationship with so many of these quarterbacks: Alan Bowman, Behren Morton, who is committed to the Red Raiders. Obviously, Bowman, bit of a tough time here the last few weeks. How do you think he’s handled this pretty tough situation?

“Alan, I mean as it is, is in a tough spot where you have the job early on and he’s been plagued by injuries, so he hasn’t got the chance to play full season, and the coaching change and getting adapted to a new system and all that. So, I feel for him. It’s tough when you just for whatever reason things aren’t rolling and you lose your job. One thing we talk about, and you mention about passing camps there in the intro, one of the things we talk about is having a change of mission mindset. The only thing you can control is the next mission, and the mission right now is to be the backup and, man, have a change of mission and change your attitude and do all you can to support the next guy up and to keep working hard. We kind of like react to the cards we’re dealt, and these are the cards, and he’s got to make the most of it.”

Cody, what did you see from the him so far this season in the times he did play?

“The quarterbacks don’t get too much credit, good or bad when they’re winning or losing but sometimes you do need a change just for a spark. I think, in Alan’s defense, I think the injuries do still play a factor into it, but even with… everybody’s been under the same with COVID and the restrictions and all of that. I just think it’s taken teams a lot longer to get actually the feel for who they’re going to be because they didn’t have a normal spring semester and summer and all that. So, I think they’re just trying to play catchup. We’ve seen not just him, but you watch any kind of college football. There’s a lot of guys that don’t look near as good right now as they have in the past, and I think that’s because of everybody trying to catchup from missing practices.”

You’ve built a close relationship with Behren Morton. How has this season gone?

“Behren’s a great kid. Love him like he’s a son. Our whole family adores him and just a quality person. As crazy as he is at playing quarterback and just as an overall athlete, he’s for sure a better person. You hear a lot of people say that, but man, I would put my reputation on that to say that Behren is a greater person than he is as an athlete. Season-wise, he’s played well. In Eastland, I think they kinda got hit with some COVID stuff, you know, small school like that and you got some kids that make some bad choices and get suspended and you lose a few guys here and there. Early on, they started a little sluggish, but they kind of got those guys back and are rolling. Anytime you have a ten total touchdowns in a game, which Behren did five running and five passing a few weeks ago, he’s a stud, and I think if he can’t play quarterback at Tech, he can probably kick and everything else they need him to.”

“He’s a competitor, he’s a great kid. He’s got a great support system obviously with his dad, the legend of James Morton. I’ve know (name’s) dad since I was young when I was at Hereford and he was at Friona. Just a solid man and has kept Behren grounded in my opinion, and I really do Behren, just the future (not to be cliched) but is really bright for that kid in all areas.”

Would you ever rule it out that he would factor in here earlier than later and not have to wait three years or something to be able to play?

“No, not at all. I will be shocked if he’s not the starting quarterback next year for the Red Raiders. I’m going to make that prediction, and again, that’s nothing against the other guys in the room, but I do think the quarterback room at Tech going into the spring semester after this fall semester is going to look different than it does now. So, I just think Behren, with him enrolling early… I know that he’s already been meeting with those guys and watching film already and has connected with the playbook and all that. So, when he steps on campus January (whatever that date is, he’s going to know the offense and get ready to roll.”

And you did mention a while ago that he did ran for five touchdowns in a game too. That’s almost like an aspect of the position you have to have the way the college game is played whether it’s extend the play or the legs part of it. It’s very similar to what your game was. It’s almost a must in this day in age, yes?

“It is. I agree. Behren’s crazy athletic. I mean, you just watch him in any sporting activity he does. He’s a guy that stands out. You see him, you notice when he’s getting off the bus like just stature-wise, but then when he plays, it’s like, ‘Huh. There’s something special about that kid,’ and I think with coach Wells and them are trying to run a bit more than in the years past. I think Behren fits mold. He can make plays, but he can also haul it. It’s just… he can flex his wrist and that thing travels really far, and he’s crazy accurate with the football. So, exciting times ahead for Big Behr, is what we call him at our house.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News